Sign in to follow this  

2001 katana 600 winterizing

Hello, I have a 2001 katana 600 and it starting to get to that point of the season. There is no "off" positon on my petcock I just have on res and pri that being said how do i turn off the fuel so I can drain the carbs? also should I drain my tank completely or fill it to the brim to avoid rusting?

Best thing would be to fill the tank with non-oxygenated premium, and put the recommended amount of fuel stabilizer in it. The more fuel in the tank=the longer it will stay fresh. Run the bike to let the stabilizer run through the carbs. I would disconnect the vacuum line from the petcock while its in the "on" position, that will cut fuel to the carbs. You may want to plug the vacuum line when running the bike, because it will run rough due to the vacuum leak that was created when disconnecting the vacuum line. If you can access the float bowl drains, that's the best way to ensure you have all the gas out of the carbs. The carbs will not get gas again until the petcock receives vacuum from motor being turned over, or when you turn it to "prime".