is there a way to update plastics on a 94' yz125?

so i have a 1994 yz125, and the bike has definitely seen better days, but whats good is it still rides like a charm. the only thing is, the previous owners must have let it sit outside, because most of the plastics are dry rotted and falling apart, the only decent ones are the  radiator shrouds, but the rear number plates, front and rear fenders are trashed. in my opinion yamaha couldnt have made a uglier bike those couple of years. the white plastics, and what seems like a over sized gas tank and rear number plates  that stretch all the way to the rad shrouds, are hideous, but thats just my opinion. so being as im going to have to replace the plastics, i was wondering if maybe i was able to acquire like a 98' 125's blue tank, would it fit the frame, and allow me to at the least update to 98's style plastics for the rad shrouds. i know the mounting for those all depend on the molding on the tank. and would there be any other years other than 93'-95' rear number plates that could swap over to somewhat complete the updated look? for front and rear fenders i may go with a stock rear, or modify a restyled one to fit, and because im sure they dont make a restyle kit for that year i may just buy Acerbis universal front fender because there is one they have that is the just like the restyled ones, but with a lil bit different lines to it. any advise would be helpful. ill post pictures very soon, just gotta go outside and take them. lol

the yz125-4.jpg

the yz125.jpg

Edited by 2strokeRobert

There is a rumor that the '96-'99 (steel) subframe will bolt right on to the '93-'95 YZs. This will let you mount '96-'01 the rear fender, and side panels, but you will probably need the seat, airbox & boot as well.

The '96-'01 tank is also supposed to fit, which means the '02-current tank can be adapted. (See "tank swap" threads.)

None of this is absolute, just what I've heard. For the money, it's probably best to go with stock bodywork, and get a custom graphics kit.

Good luck, I let us know what you end up doing!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...