Sign in to follow this  

YZ125 2015/2016 vs. 2006+

I previously owned a 2005 YZ125 and regret selling it. I would like to pick up another one but can't make up my mind on a new model or just get a nice 2006+ and use the extra $$$ towards mods. My biggest issue with an older bike is sometimes you don't know what you're getting and possibly having to spend more on it later. That is why I'm considering just getting a new one. But $3K-$4K difference in price is huge! Any thoughts?

Either get a leftover like a 2014 or get one that is barely ridden and you can get it for a 2-3 grand off the regular price. From what I've heard they haven't changed much over the years. Especially on a 2 stroke it's not 100% important to buy new. Then you'll have some money to mod it or save for something else

Either get a leftover like a 2014 or get one that is barely ridden and you can get it for a 2-3 grand off the regular price. From what I've heard they haven't changed much over the years. Especially on a 2 stroke it's not 100% important to buy new. Then you'll have some money to mod it or save for something else

One of the problems is that there aren't any 2014 leftovers that I have found. Actually, there really aren't a lot of 2006+ bikes to be had around this area. It's rare to see an 07-14 for sale anywhere, much less one in good shape, single owner, maintenance records, etc. All I have found are 2006's or earlier models with multiple owners, and current owners who don't know what all has been done to the bike like jetting, last rebuild, etc. I which I could take the bikes apart to inspect them closer but that's never gonna happen. Also a lot of bikes don't have titles because they are dirt only. I only buy bikes with titles. So I almost feel like buying a new bike for peace of mind. But it's a hard $3-$4K to swallow buying new considering the changes are minimal.

I was going to get a 2016 but ended up getting a leftover 2014 for 3000$ cheaper than the 2016 would have cost. And it's still a brand new bike. For 2015 they went to the new plastics (you can convert a 2006+ for 200$) wider foot pegs from the yzf, small suspension tuning and other than that they are the same

Edited by desertbound1024

I was going to get a 2016 but ended up getting a leftover 2014 for 3000$ cheaper than the 2016 would have cost. And it's still a brand new bike. For 2015 they went to the new plastics (you can convert a 2006+ for 200$) wider foot pegs from the yzf, small suspension tuning and other than that they are the same

Wow! I can pick up a new 15' for $6k. Are you saying you paid around $3K for a new 14'? Where's this, sign me up!

Wow! I can pick up a new 15' for $6k. Are you saying you paid around $3K for a new 14'? Where's this, sign me up!

OTD price was under 5000$ I know a guy haha. It was the last one that I know of in my area.

If you wait a little while the '15s are soon gonna be leftovers. Also some people might not want to store a bike over the winter so they'll start posting them for sale and you'll get a decent price too

I bought a 2005 for $2k. Added 2006 suspension. Total investment $2500. Not much difference between this and a 2016, certainly not $3500 dollars worth. Of course I'd love to have that new bike smell. This bike happened to be in fantastic shape. Agree that it helps if you know the previous owner.

the last of the real updates was 2006,

2007 different fork coating

2008 different shift stopper and brakes

etc

Important cut off year is 2006. I have a 2006 yz250 I love it.  If it was me get a 06+ and use the rest of the money to build it how you want

• Like 1

I had a similar situation. I looked for a good 08+ YZ for 8 weeks and finally bought a 15.

My buddy bought a new one then this one popped up on CL the next day. 2013 with less than 10 hours. Snagged it for 2900.

1447239346406.jpg

My buddy bought a new one then this one popped up on CL the next day. 2013 with less than 10 hours. Snagged it for 2900.

Damn good deal. Just the right timing for you!

All depends on how much time you have to put into it....$2-3k is a lot of money to put towards parts. I bought my 05 yz250 for $1900 which left me roughly $5300 to make it look and perform like a new 2016. Find a cheap one on CL and make a winter project out of it.

Not mine, but may be worth a drive depending on where you are in Illinois. This is in Cincinnati area. 2012 asking $2900

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/5266875813.html

Thanks for the link. It's 4 hours from me but I'll keep it in mind.

All depends on how much time you have to put into it....$2-3k is a lot of money to put towards parts. I bought my 05 yz250 for $1900 which left me roughly $5300 to make it look and perform like a new 2016. Find a cheap one on CL and make a winter project out of it.

This is most likely what I will do since I enjoy wrenching almost as much as riding.

Well I have a 2006 "woods ready". Thought about selling it several times,but after a days ride whether it be trail riding or racing..I know I would be faced with sellers remorse...eg 144,Rekluse,seat concepts,flexx bars,big tank,revalved suspension for woods,and the list goes on...to me the bike is worth 2016 prices...just going to upgrade to 2016 plastic,and I have a "New Looking bike"

So if I had to do it all over again..I would do the same,look for a clean used 2006,(my area approx $2500)upgrade to the 2016 look,go through the entire bike...bearings,cables,sprockets,chain,tires,top end. ..at most another $1000 to put into it..hard to beat the value for a used yz125..especially the 2006 models and up...