Sign in to follow this  

Newbie looking for some help with forks

I recently bought my first "real" motocross bike, it's a 2002 kx 125, I have never been on a motocross track and only use the bike for trails/enduro style riding, I have only recently started to gain some air going over jumps ect to give you an idea of my riding level. (terrible  :rolleyes:)

I noticed a few times while strapping my bike to the trailer the sound of air releasing from the top of the forks, I have some after market bleeders that seem to let out air when they are pressed, I am now getting more into the whole riding experience so want to take care of the bike and after a bit of research I have learnt this is very bad for the bike, I am planning on getting rid of them and replacing it to stock (screw). 

I noticed oil coming out of the bottom of my forks too, I think this means the fork seals are gone so I am looking to order some new ones but before placing the order I want to hear any suggestions you guys have on what else I can service in regards to the shock/forks.

I also want to lower the bike slightly, I am around 5"4/5 and can barely touch the floor unless I am heavily leaning which is a huge pain in the ass when trying to start the bike on anything that isn't nice and flat, is it possible to do this via the rear shock? If it is does anyone have a video they can suggest I watch to guide me?

Thanks!

Air should not come out the Fork bleeders unless you push the button down, so you need to replace them with the OEM screw type or the push button. Push button good or bad it all depends, you have to know how to bleed the forks right that is the front wheel is off the ground and remains off the ground until you either have the screw back in the hole and tight, or you have your finger off of the bleeder valve. That so you don’t get negative pressure or vacuum. Google search how to bleed forks

As for the seals leaking yes you have to more or likely replaces them with OEM seals but there is a lot more work than just replacing seal checking for scratches or nicks on the lower tubes and taking care of them. When loading your bike for hauling you need to be using a seal saver device it goes from your tire to the underside of the fender I use a 2X4 and half of a 4" round PVC pipe.

As for lowering the bike do not use the shock to lower the rear you need to use a lowering link for the rear and move the forks up in the triple trees a little checking to make sure you have the clearness from your tire to your front fender there’s not a lot of room and if you bottom out you could be in trouble.  

There’s a lot on the site for what you are doing search each topic and you should come up with some good stuff  

You need to set the shocks spring preload to give you the proper rear sag for your weight. If it's currently set too stiff and you're not getting enough sag, setting it properly will get you a little closer to the ground when sitting the bike.

When you strap the bike down in the trailer, you're compressing the forks, building pressure in them. If you don't use a device between the tire and inner fender to prevent that, then releasing pressure in the forks is a good thing, especially if their going to be tied down for a while. I agree tho, the valves shouldn't be bypassing air on their own, only when pressed. I'd replace with new valves instead of the stock screw, simply for convenience sake.