Sign in to follow this  

06 cr250 help

I have a 06 cr250 with a 38mm pwk as 42 pilot 172 main red needle in 4th clip air screw at 1/2 turn out and idle screw is all the way out im at sea level with temps at 50-70 running 40:1 golden specto and 93 pump new air filter stock reeds stock engine fmf gnarly expansion chamber with turbine core 2 silencer new spark plug tranny oil and coolant

I finally got it started after messing with the air and idle screw it was smoking a lot and sounded like it was idling really high as soon as I cracked the throttle the rpms went up high and stood there for a minute had it on the stand so thought I'd put it in first and the back tire started spinning fast with no throttle it did the same in 2nd then I tried shutting it off and my kill switch didn't work had to shut the gas off to kill the engine. How do I get this thing running smoothly?

Check for an airleak. A leak down test will be the best bet but you can spray some brake cleaner aound the gasket areas & the can seal on the ignition side. If the rpm changes after spraying an area, you located the (or one of the) leaks.

Forget that post was trying to post a video but no luck... Leak test got it if that doesn't work anything else I should try?

I believe the air screw should be around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns out and the clip in the 3rd position for a very middle of the road setting.

I have a 06 cr250 with a 38mm pwk as 42 pilot 172 main red needle in 4th clip air screw at 1/2 turn out and idle screw is all the way out im at sea level with temps at 50-70 running 40:1 golden specto and 93 pump new air filter stock reeds stock engine fmf gnarly expansion chamber with turbine core 2 silencer new spark plug tranny oil and coolant

I finally got it started after messing with the air and idle screw it was smoking a lot and sounded like it was idling really high as soon as I cracked the throttle the rpms went up high and stood there for a minute had it on the stand so thought I'd put it in first and the back tire started spinning fast with no throttle it did the same in 2nd then I tried shutting it off and my kill switch didn't work had to shut the gas off to kill the engine. How do I get this thing running smoothly?

Those settings appear lean to me for the conditions posted with the red needle.  If your at 1/2 turn out on the A/S you should go to a richer pj 45 & might also need to go one step richer on the mj to a 175.   I'd also highly recommend using a better premix than spectro.  I haven't used that stuff since the 80's since I found out about the quality of it.  

• Like 2

You are too lean on the pilot. I would go to a 45 at least and if it is still too lean off the bottom, put the blue needle in, which is richer than the red needle from 0-1/4 throttle but identical everywhere else. Also H4L is right, you are most likely lean on the main, you need at least a 175 and maybe a 178 main at sea level.

• Like 2

Update on the bike

Installed v force 3 reeds and changed the pilot to 45 main to 175 and got the blue needle in the 3rd clip but can't get it to idle as soon as I let off the throttle it Boggs out and dies it smokes a little but no splooge any suggestions and there's no free play on the cable I think it's either too short or I have it routed the wrong way it sometime gets stuck between the lower clamp and the chassis

Seems like you made a lot of changes at once.  I would have tried the 45pj & 175mj with the red needle before going to the blue needle.  The blue needle is designed to be richer in the 0-1/4 throttle range in case you didn't know.  Work on getting an idle with the idle screw first & then work with the A/S to achieve the right A/F mixture for the 0-1/4 throttle position ?  I'd try turning the A/S 1/8 at a time once the motor has been warmed up.  A bog condition is a symptom of being lean while a stutter or hesitation can be contributed to a rich condition.  I'd also suggest on getting the throttle cable sorted out & replace if needed.