crf250l clutch upgrade

looking into upgrading the clutch.  I found that I only need to replace the last clutch fiber and plate with the same that is on the rest(3) of the stack.  Thus replacing it with the same fiber and metal plates.  Is this correct?  What clutch springs can I use the make it grab better also? I know already that the stock bolts that hold the springs in are very soft and break easy, I plan on replacing them with ones off a crf450r.

Edited by deathman53

I'm mobile right now so I won't search right now but, I have posted links everywhere around here and a simple search you get them for you .

I bought EBC Heavy Duty friction plates for a CBR250R it comes with 5 and that is how many you need.

Then I bought Barnett Heavy Duty springs for a CBR300R that are 15% stronger than stock CBR300R springs and are 55% stronger than stock CRF250L springs.

All parts were under 80 bucks from Amazon

You can get by just replacing the judder with one friction and then getting good springs if you want to save money.

Edited by gnath9

so I get a fiction plate, metal plate and cbr300r springs, then.  Its a basically new bike, so a worn clutch isn't a worry, I think there is 30 miles on it.

so I get a fiction plate, metal plate and cbr300r springs, then. Its a basically new bike, so a worn clutch isn't a worry, I think there is 30 miles on it.

No ... The friction plate is not the metal plate. The friction plate is the one with the brake pad type material.

The best thing to do is just to buy the kit CK1313 from EBC

looking into upgrading the clutch.  I found that I only need to replace the last clutch fiber and plate with the same that is on the rest(3) of the stack.  Thus replacing it with the same fiber and metal plates.  Is this correct?  What clutch springs can I use the make it grab better also? I know already that the stock bolts that hold the springs in are very soft and break easy, I plan on replacing them with ones off a crf450r.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1144402-removing-clutch-side-coverclutch-upgrades/

• Like 1

I would have replaced my clutch plates when I first bought my bike. 

Had I known the copper bits were from the factory clutch fiber plates breaking in.

It was like someone ground a penny in my oil for the first few oil changes.

That crap circulating through all the bearings can't help anything.

I changed my oil after 500 miles after replacing them with the EBC plates and not a hint of anything in the oil.

But that and the fact that the engine now pulls harder due to less slipping is worth the $80.00 and two hours time it took to perform this job!

Edited by oldguy68
  • Like 3

I noticed yesterday that I've got 1080 miles on my clutch now, I haven't done an oil change on it yet since either - next couple of weeks maybe - NOT HAD A PROBLEM and still loving the feeling

• Like 3

I noticed yesterday that I've got 1080 miles on my clutch now, I haven't done an oil change on it yet since either - next couple of weeks maybe - NOT HAD A PROBLEM and still loving the feeling

Sometimes after sitting for a few weeks my clutch kind of sticks. When I put it in gear for the first time it jumps and stalls ...  :facepalm:   If I remember and rev the motor a little as dropping into first it will not do it.... it's a small price to pay for 3rd gear wheelies ....  :banana:  I love the clutch upgrade ...  :ride:     

• Like 1

wow......just changed the fiber and removed jutter springs.  That last clutch plate is tiny, its like half a plate compared to the rest.  I didn't get the cbr300r clutch springs, they are coming tomorrow and it will get put back together.  I can easily see how it will grab much better after its all done.  Maybe 1st and 2nd it will easily wheelie.....especially with 13/42 gearing.  Next upgrade......suspension, got the forks, rebuilt the front wheel already, tubliss coming for it, much better dual purpose(but mostly dirt tires coming, most people here seam to like IRC tr8's) and order rear shock in a few weeks. I will keep the pure dirt tires for my ktms.  Then I will be done with the bike for now.  I rode it with the mini-bike bars saturday and it feels much more at home for me, I really like it so far, but the suspension is painfully horrible.  Larger and lighter plastic tank isn't out of question, but will be one of the last items on the list.

Edited by deathman53
  • Like 2

wow......just changed the fiber and removed jutter springs.  That last clutch plate is tiny, its like half a plate compared to the rest.  I didn't get the cbr300r clutch springs, they are coming tomorrow and it will get put back together.  I can easily see how it will grab much better after its all done.  Maybe 1st and 2nd it will easily wheelie.....especially with 13/42 gearing.  Next upgrade......suspension, got the forks, rebuilt the front wheel already, tubliss coming for it, much better dual purpose(but mostly dirt tires coming, most people here seam to like IRC tr8's) and order rear shock in a few weeks. I will keep the pure dirt tires for my ktms.  Then I will be done with the bike for now.  I rode it with the mini-bike bars saturday and it feels much more at home for me, I really like it so far, but the suspension is painfully horrible.  Larger and lighter plastic tank isn't out of question, but will be one of the last items on the list.

I just got the plates and springs.  Can't wait to get them in

• Like 1

Put it all together last night, refilled oil with Rotella T and coolant with Evans. Clutch pull much firmer and ride up my driveway, it instantly grabs really pulls. Next suspension and tires, maybe get rid of that stupid rear brake switch for a hydraulic one. I see what that piece of plastic is on the right side and how easily hurt it is

• Like 1

Put it all together last night, refilled oil with Rotella T and coolant with Evans. Clutch pull much firmer and ride up my driveway, it instantly grabs really pulls. Next suspension and tires, maybe get rid of that stupid rear brake switch for a hydraulic one. I see what that piece of plastic is on the right side and how easily hurt it is

What !!! ........... no wheelies ...  :lol:

Also put in crf450r clutch spring bolts,I hear that the stock crf250l ones are butter soft and don't want to take a chance. Those new springs are alot stiffer than stock and put new metal plate on also, it was something around .1mm thicker than stock last metal

• Like 1

Also put in crf450r clutch spring bolts,I hear that the stock crf250l ones are butter soft and don't want to take a chance. Those new springs are alot stiffer than stock and put new metal plate on also, it was something around .1mm thicker than stock last metal

If I would have known I would have used those as well .... hopefully the stockers will hold up 

I got many bikes, 3 wheelers that I do Mx on, quads for mx and dirtbikes for the woods. Got stuff ranging for 1986 honda atvs to 07 ktm dirtbikes and the crf250l. Some of friends had/have dirtbikes and atvs from all types, it's amazing what you find that interchanges. Even between different brands

• Like 2

Well, you all have talked me into it. Just ordered the EBC plates and the springs for the clutch mod. First mechanical mod on bike, but sounds worth it. I don't know if I can do the job in 1hr 40 mine like Ducky, but it will get done with a little luck. Great tips on TT forum for the process sure helps!

Edited by Dogger
  • Like 1

Well, you all have talked me into it. Just ordered the EBC plates and the springs for the clutch mod. First mechanical mod on bike, but sounds worth it. I don't know if I can do the job in 1hr 40 mine like Ducky, but it will get done with a little luck. Great tips on TT forum for the process sure helps!

Cool! :cheers:   Let us know how the installation goes and your impression of the new clutch once your finished.

• Like 1