Sign in to follow this  

Got my 2016 YZ 250 X

As the title says I got one, and ordered all my goodies the bike shop didn't have in stock.  Main concern is a pipe guard, I like the way the stocker tucks in.  Seems a lot narrower than a normal YZ.  Called E-Line, today and he's not making one yet, got a call into P3 and waiting for a return call.  I guess I could be extra careful but that's no fun.  Saw pics of a guy here on TT with an E-Line on his, anyone know if it will fit? I mean it looks like it fits, but does it really?  Another concern are fork springs, Race tech doesn't have the X info on their spring chart.  Best i could come up with is using a 2016 YZ chart that said for a 195 lb enduro spec I'd need 42's.  The bike has 44's stock, anyone care to comment? Otherwise I'm ready to ride!

Thanks for any guidance you can provide. 

My opinion is stock fork springs should be fine. If they are too soft, change them later, I wouldn't go lighter.

Edited by Kinger317

My opinion is stock fork springs should be fine. If they are too soft, change them later, I wouldn't go lighter.

I'll go with that, probably go up to a 5.4 to 5.6 in the rear.  I'll see what my numbers say.

I'm 185 no gear 2009 YZ250 hair scrambles/Woods pistons and valving (should be similar to the X) with .48 upfront and 5.6 in rear. Couldn't be happier for a nice soft plush smooth ride.

Edited by Kinger317

As the title says I got one, and ordered all my goodies the bike shop didn't have in stock.  Main concern is a pipe guard, I like the way the stocker tucks in.  Seems a lot narrower than a normal YZ.  Called E-Line, today and he's not making one yet, got a call into P3 and waiting for a return call.  I guess I could be extra careful but that's no fun.  Saw pics of a guy here on TT with an E-Line on his, anyone know if it will fit? I mean it looks like it fits, but does it really?  Another concern are fork springs, Race tech doesn't have the X info on their spring chart.  Best i could come up with is using a 2016 YZ chart that said for a 195 lb enduro spec I'd need 42's.  The bike has 44's stock, anyone care to comment? Otherwise I'm ready to ride!

My weight varies from 195-200 lbs , fork springs should be fine . I ran the IRONMAN GNCC and loved it . I did install a 5.6 on the rear thou from my previous YZ .

Congrats!!!  I go 195 w/o gear about 225 with and Race tech shows me at .45 if I recall and a 5.5 out back.  My bike came with .46 and 5.4R, if feels fine on the trail but static and race sag are off (20/120mm) so the rear needs to be up'd a bit.

I forgot to take a look at the pipe while at the dealer, that's interesing if it it tucks in a LOT.  Maybe the aftermarket will catch on and offer trail guys something they should have been doing all along.

BTW is this Mark?  

Congrats!!!  I go 195 w/o gear about 225 with and Race tech shows me at .45 if I recall and a 5.5 out back.  My bike came with .46 and 5.4R, if feels fine on the trail but static and race sag are off (20/120mm) so the rear needs to be up'd a bit.

I forgot to take a look at the pipe while at the dealer, that's interesing if it it tucks in a LOT.  Maybe the aftermarket will catch on and offer trail guys something they should have been doing all along.

BTW is this Mark?  

Yes, it's me.  Thanks for all the info with the springs.  I have a 5.6 but it's Orange, don't know how that happened.  As far as pipe guards go, the guy told me his E-Line off the YZ was on his bike but didn't really fit that well.  It's a noticeable difference between the YZ and YZX pipes.  Still waiting for P-3 to respond. Motoworld in San Diego made me a offer I couldn't refuse so I took mommy to the beach for the weekend and picked the bike up on the way home.  Just got off the phone with P-3, they are looking at the first of the year for a pipe guard. They are a little more expensive than a E-Line, but if you get one you'll know why.

Edited by motocrotts

Yes, it's me.  Thanks for all the info with the springs.  I have a 5.6 but it's Orange, don't know how that happened.  As far as pipe guards go, the guy told me his E-Line off the YZ was on his bike but didn't really fit that well.  It's a noticeable difference between the YZ and YZX pipes.  Still waiting for P-3 to respond. Motoworld in San Diego made me a offer I couldn't refuse so I took mommy to the beach for the weekend and picked the bike up on the way home.  Just got off the phone with P-3, they are looking at the first of the year for a pipe guard. They are a little more expensive than a E-Line, but if you get one you'll know why.

Thought so! :)  OK we have the same amount of bikes now and me being competitive and all I'll have to go out and buy another!!  lol

If you have a method of d-crunching pipes I have a fatty or fmf with a rather crushed neck you can use until you get your P3 so you don't screw up your new one.  I have no method yet to repair and haven't needed to since using the fiber guards and haven't had time to send it in.

Thought so! :)  OK we have the same amount of bikes now and me being competitive and all I'll have to go out and buy another!!  lol

If you have a method of d-crunching pipes I have a fatty or fmf with a rather crushed neck you can use until you get your P3 so you don't screw up your new one.  I have no method yet to repair and haven't needed to since using the fiber guards and haven't had time to send it in.

Thanks Syc, I appreciate the offer but I'll be ok.  Dave Alquist down in Mesa will straighten it out for you.  He used to work at Bernies.  I actually have 9 bikes in the garage now.  I had to bring my MTB into the house to change a flat.  Need to thin the heard, know anyone interested in a 1985 Yamaha RZ 350? :rolleyes:

Thanks Syc, I appreciate the offer but I'll be ok.  Dave Alquist down in Mesa will straighten it out for you.  He used to work at Bernies.  I actually have 9 bikes in the garage now.  I had to bring my MTB into the house to change a flat.  Need to thin the heard, know anyone interested in a 1985 Yamaha RZ 350? :rolleyes:

9!!  NICE.  But I'm talking REAL bikes, not the ones you take to DJ's Bagel shop!!  :)

Where can I find Dave Alquist at?