Sign in to follow this  

Changing clutch basket

I'm putting a new basket in my 13 crf450r, question is do I have to remove the entire side case, or will it come out through the clutch cover?

I remember the older Hondas u had to pull the side case, just want to know before I order the basket so I can get a gasket coming too.

Thanks

I'm putting a new basket in my 13 crf450r, question is do I have to remove the entire side case, or will it come out through the clutch cover?

I remember the older Hondas u had to pull the side case, just want to know before I order the basket so I can get a gasket coming too.

Thanks

Gasket is like $15 ar Rocky Mtn so I'd just get one. If you don't need it now you'll have it when you rebuild your waterpump.

I've had bikes that everyone swore you had to remove it yet I didn't. Quick enough to just try without removing.

Yep I'll play it safe n get the gasket, any good bad opinions on the Hinson momentum basket, it's steel so it should add a little flywheel effect?

Hinson seems to always make good stuff but I read wiseco guarantees their basket for life.

I run the steel baskets in my flat trackers and it adds a little more tractability. You'll never wear it out that's for sure.

I'm getting ready to do the same on my '07, or I was. The service manual makes it seem like you just pull it straight off. Is this not the case?

drum, I'll let you know tonight I havent owned a honda in years but the last one you had to pull the side case to change the basket.

you absolutely need to pull the whole side cover off.  its not easy easy as pulling the clutch cover off.  the rear brake lever also needs to come off, so does the water pump assembly. othwerwise its still very easy.  if youre good and careful, the big gasket can be reused.

side question. just did my buddies yz. his clutch cover has an o ring, not a paper gasket.  anyways, when we pulled the o ring off gently, and powdercoated his cover, the o ring wouldnt go back in.... it was literally 1" too long!!   what causes that? and no we didnt stretch it by yanking it out of its slot. 

When the oring is compressed betwen the cases it elongates. You can always just cut it to length and put the two ends together at the top, a dab a silicone and its fine. 

• Like 1

drum, I'll let you know tonight I havent owned a honda in years but the last one you had to pull the side case to change the basket.

Thanks. Never done it, so any inside info is appreciated.

When the oring is compressed betwen the cases it elongates. You can always just cut it to length and put the two ends together at the top, a dab a silicone and its fine. 

yup thats exactly what we did.  we didnt use silicone though. we cut it 1mm or so longer so it over laps, and at the top, bolted it shut and ran it!  no problems.

thanks. 

Just one little piece of advice I would add to anyone who has a newer honda pull things apart and lube them up, even if its not broke or you dont need to remove it to get to something remove it and lube it. I bought this honda used its a 13 model, the guy I bought it from was a moto rider, the bike had never been in the woods or in water or anything pure track bike, you would think it would be in great condition. I have been adding alot of parts to it lately and everything is coming apart very hard. Almost every bolt I remove looks like it came out of a bike 10 years older than it is, very dry, almost corroded looking, footpeg pins wore and dry, the kickstarter I almost needed a puller to remove it. Rear brake pedal bushing totally dry and took lots of force to remove. But every case bolt, frame bolt etc... I have never owned anything like it, I think the constant pressure washer use that moto riders use is what caused all this. I should have taken pictures through the process to see what I am talking about but it is amazing how a pressure washer will push water into places you wouldnt think it could. All I know is I have had to use a stainless toothbrush on almost every fastener I have taken out and every pivot point and oring was dry.

Just one little piece of advice I would add to anyone who has a newer honda pull things apart and lube them up, even if its not broke or you dont need to remove it to get to something remove it and lube it. I bought this honda used its a 13 model, the guy I bought it from was a moto rider, the bike had never been in the woods or in water or anything pure track bike, you would think it would be in great condition. I have been adding alot of parts to it lately and everything is coming apart very hard. Almost every bolt I remove looks like it came out of a bike 10 years older than it is, very dry, almost corroded looking, footpeg pins wore and dry, the kickstarter I almost needed a puller to remove it. Rear brake pedal bushing totally dry and took lots of force to remove. But every case bolt, frame bolt etc... I have never owned anything like it, I think the constant pressure washer use that moto riders use is what caused all this. I should have taken pictures through the process to see what I am talking about but it is amazing how a pressure washer will push water into places you wouldnt think it could. All I know is I have had to use a stainless toothbrush on almost every fastener I have taken out and every pivot point and oring was dry.

its a good habit to never use a power washer. I use a garden hose and elbow grease.

yeah pressure washers are bad