How many of you guys ride atv's and bikes

i own an old 86 trx250 with a 310 pv jug, and a bunch of other upgrades, it was a great project that me an my dad built together when i was young that he gave to me once we finished building it together. so i ride that every once and while. But i mainly ride my cr250 and my crf450r. My dad on the other hand has 2 quads both trx250s that have been pumped to high heaven and a crf250x that he uses to ride trails with me. Its actually that way for a lot of my family, both my uncles and their sons ride both. my dad, both my uncles and their sons ride their quads in the sand, all sports bikes, and dirt bikes on dirt. me and my cousins boyfriend are the only ones that ride both sand and dirt on 2 wheels

• Like 1

I ride both. I've been riding quads regularly for the past ten years or so. I just picked up a 2016 Grizzly after dumping the Polaris 1000XP which was a train wreck of problems. I also just picked up a 16 500xcw. I don't buy into the quad vs. bike crap, it's almost always a case of immaturity (regardless of age). I've been annoyed by both for different reasons but at the end of the day those looking to clamp down on OHV trails don't discriminate between four wheels or two, we shouldn't either.

• Like 2

I ride both. I've been riding quads regularly for the past ten years or so. I just picked up a 2016 Grizzly after dumping the Polaris 1000XP which was a train wreck of problems. I also just picked up a 16 500xcw. I don't buy into the quad vs. bike crap, it's almost always a case of immaturity (regardless of age). I've been annoyed by both for different reasons but at the end of the day those looking to clamp down on OHV trails don't discriminate between four wheels or two, we shouldn't either.

Well said.. All off road enthusiasts need to get together and get our shit together fast. Or we're all going to be hiking our favorite riding spots soon. 

Edited by WARider525
  • Like 1

I'm a 2 wheeler through and through, but I have had some fun on quads. 

My first machine was a Raptor 80 when I was about 10. I liked it because It had wheels, but I never really loved it. Even then I wanted a bike, but of course my parents thought "more stable sitting in the garage = safer". Or at least that's probably what my mom thought. My dad always had little monkey bikes like a Z50 and Trail 70 and even had some kind of MX bike when I was really little, though it never ran as long as I've been around, and I never saw him ride or work on it. I know it was a smaller displacement (like 100-something), probably an 80's or late 70's model (i was born in the early 90s and it was already a junker by then), yellow and black MX bike. My mom never really got into bikes/atvs, she rode her cousin's 3 wheelers here and there but saw more injuries on those things than fun. My grandpa/her dad was a PAL officer and used to take the kids out riding but that was always quads too, not bikes.

My dad got a farmer quad for property maintenance after a good 10 year hiatus from powersports all together and she sure liked riding around on that thing. I'm sure that was the "last straw" that got me and my brother sitting over an engine because a little quad came along shortly after. My brother rode the Raptor more than I did, I even remember turning down my mom at least once when she said "We're getting the quad out, want to ride with us?". I liked it, but it didn't really do all that much for me. Not long after we ended up moving to somewhere without room to ride, and it just sat in a storage unit. We got another house with some room but by then I was big and had other things going on, it just got pushed to the back of the shed and forgotten.

Then when I was 16 my cousin was planning to move out of state and had to liquidate his fleet. He always raised steers and pigs in 4H and FFA so he was rolling in money as a teenager and acquired several quads and bikes. I got his Honda TR200 Fatcat in a "You fix/maintain it, you can have it, just keep it in the family" deal. It had bent bars and barely ran, but a cleaned carb, new bars, and plug/filter/oil and a few other small parts later, it ran (and still runs) like a champ. I even rode it to work every day there for a while until I got my truck. 

Then just two days ago after giving my TR200 a new chain, sprockets, brakes, and some other goodies, I was feeling industrious and drug the little blue quad out from it's hiding place. It's a total barn find, in my own barn! Really though, the thing is mint. It's a 2004 and it's got maybe 5-10 hours on it. It still has the white marking paint on all the bolts from the factory. I scrubbed the crap out of that carb, put some more air in the tires and got it going again! I hopped on that little guy for the first time in a decade and ripped down my driveway, into the street and did burnouts in the rain! The next morning my gf came over and we rode down to the beach, me on the fatcat and her on the raptor.

She rode it most of the time, the trip was really more for her than for me, but I took one good rip down the beach on the way home. That little 80 is SLOWWWWWW. I'm well over 200 pounds though, probably 3x what the poor little thing was designed for. It does have a stirrup in the back though, and as light as it is I can "wheelie" it just sitting there with the engine off. I don't ever see myself really riding this little thing, but I do see a few good stunts in my future! 

She sure liked it though, I'll definitely keep it around for her to ride, and maybe for some little ones in the future. I still don't really like quads (they feel awkward, and I still maintain that quads are for fat girls and drunk rednecks, and are more dangerous) but I am a little curious to see what a big raptor is like, having only known my little one. Maybe I'll rent a 660/700 if I can ever find such a thing.

Edited by boyandhisdogs

i agree, i got a 86 trx250 with a 310 pv jug, lrd pipe, pwk carb, and axis custom on it, i love the thing. built it with my dad and the bike is a hoot. But i also love my cr and my crf. 

I bet that raptor can move tho.

I love them all , started riding atv s when I was 5 , a little 90 honda. Then a 185s , 200s , 250r , got out of it while in the military and raising kids , then got a Yamaha 700 quad and then about 10 years ago rode my buddies honda 400 dualsport and was hooked on them , since got a kawasaki klx 250s , husqvarna te 310 and a ktm 500exc, needless to say I love them all , looking for a 84 honda 200x now , sorry for my life story.