Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X vs WR250F

just riding with friends.... trails and mud! was wondering if a crf250x would be a better choice than the wr250f... any differences? any consistant problems with either?

Edited by KingTrailRider

I just sold a uncorked 11' wr250f, and my closest buddy has a stock 15' 250x. I have ridden his multiple times so I can compare.

In stock trim for both bikes, I would give the 250x the edge in the engine department. To me the power is more useable as it sits down lower in the rpms. A torquier motor than the WR. Lofts logs, roots and wheelies with less effort. I'll also tends to run better than my WR did when it was stock. Both come choked up, but the WR shows it more. Having the power curve more in the mid to upper rpms with the stock throttle stop just doesn't work. It limits you to 3/4th throttle opening. That said the X takes a huge dip in power in the mid to upper rpms and you can feel it. The WR loves to scream and pulls to the end. I got use to this a learned to keep the bike in the mid range so the power was on tap when needed. This was of course once I jetted it, opened the pipe and did the free mods.

Suspension wise the X is stiffer than the WR. The WR has more of a lush feel and soaks everything up really good at low speeds. At higher speeds I thought the X did better. Chassis wise his X is taller and has about an inch more ground clearance than my WR did. At 6'2 I liked the extra height of his X. I always noticed his bike would bottom out less on logs and such with the extra clearance.

Brakes feel similar between the two bikes. Nothing fancy about either.

Clutch is much nicer on the WR.. Much smoother and easier to pull. His is stiffer and it almost feels like there is click when you pull the lever in (if that makes sense).

Stock parts and trim are hands down nicer on the WR. That was the biggest thing I noticed between the two. The X looks cheap in a lot of areas, from the hot start to the clutch perch to the stock handle bars to the kick stand to the foot pegs, the list goes on. Yamaha does a much better job here.

Overall, I think Yamaha does a bit better job once you get the bike uncorked and where it needs to be. Especially the new 15' models. Those are a big step up from both the previous generation WR and the old yet current X. If I was in your position I would be looking for a 15 WR.

I ride a 01 cr250 and 07 crf450r so I'm more used to a race bike, my dad on the other hand has an 07 crf250x. He uses it solely for trails and fire roads, no track, we did the free mods on it (pink wire, drilled exhaust, jd jetting kit, and air box) and he loves the bike. It does incredible on the bottom end great for trails, on the top end it has power but it just doesn't pull away from you. He hasn't had to do valves yet, and I'm really good about doing his maintenance. he loves the bike for what he uses it for, he likes having the bottom end because when things get hairy on a trail he is more likely to be in lower rpms to maneuver obstacles than in his high rpms. As for the bike looking cheap, ill agree its not as flashy as some of the other brands but it doesn't break and is super reliable. Ive ridden his bike a few times for giggles and its fun and i see why its an awesome trail bike but it doesn't rip like my r's.