Sign in to follow this  

Desert Race Strategies

Looking for desert race strategies. The series I race usually consists of 3 laps of 15-30 mile courses over about two hours. I don't know if it is better to try to get out front as fast as possible and try to hold on to positions of the course of the race or take it easy say the first lap then try to real in guys over the last two laps.

It's hard to pass guys in the beginning because we are so bunched up but I fear if I wait for a lap I may be too far back to real in guys. I am shooting for top 20 so waiting might not be the best idea? On the other hand don't want to wear myself out trying to get to the front in the beginning of the race and not having anything left for the end.

Any tips, strategies, stories would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I try to learn the course on the first lap all the while at least holding my position or making easy passes. I like to really pour it on in the 2nd half of the race when most people are starting to slow it down.

In the desert, visibility is everything.  And you aren't going to learn the course if you're sucking dust the first lap and can't see shit.

Get out in front, let everyone else eat your dust on the first lap and just go at your pace, because they'll all be blind, then open it up the 2nd and 3rd laps.

• Like 1

Getting out front was key!!! Problem is I wiped out in a really muddy section, took a while to restart and was nearly impossible to make may passes.

need tips for riding in deep mud? I could keep the bike going where I wanted. I felt the bike trying to climb out of the ruts with the front tire, but it couldn't causing the front end to wash out...

Mud is different in different places. I'm not sure what kind of mud you have in the desert...

I usually try to pick my way through mud more carefully than the others. I have found it to be better on my heavy bikes than charging through it. If I don't get stuck it makes up for the speeds after a while.