Sign in to follow this  

Front brake woes

Hi All,

First post here and new owner of an '06 DRZ 400 SM. Its been great so far!

I am having some troubles with my front brake. When I bought the bike the front brake was not working at all. When I got the bike home, I took apart the master cylinder and discovered one of the cone shaped grommets/washers was on the piston backwards. I turned it around and put it back together and proceeded with bleeding the brakes. I was finally able to get them to build some pressure so I took the bike out for a spin.

Now this is where it gets interesting. The brakes work about 50% of the time. Sometimes I pull the lever and they work as you would expect (maybe slightly spongy) and then the next time I pull the lever it comes all the way to the bar with no brake action. This would make me suspect that there is air in the system somewhere or is being introduced. I do not see any leaks anywhere. Any ideas on where I should start?

As long as everything is in the right place , you still have air trapped in the system . When I replaced my rubber lines for braided , I couldnt get the front to build up pressure at all . In the end I removed the caliper and held it higher than the master cylinder and it bled right away . If you have access to a pressure bleeder that would be even better , as it just forces it through and pushes all of the air out as it bleeds , greg

• Like 3

Replacing the stock front brake lever and perch with new brake lever WHEN SUDDENLY I ran into the problem of not having a pressure switch extension for the new lever to put pressure on the switch when the brake is pulled. I need to be able to engage the brake lights with the hand lever to pass safety inspection. Are there any combinations of hand controls/perch that would accommodate?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1458360476.254868.jpg

If I have to buy a new brake fluid perch/lever kit I will but I just haven't found any. Preferably black and white.

I liked the bleeding suggestion of raising the caliper above the master cylinder. I will have to try it next time. I use the vacume bleeding method. I use a big syringe from a feed store or vet supply. Connect a short hose draw the plunger out to creat the vacume. Got to keep an eye on the master cylinder level. The volume of fluid is surprisingly small. I did a total rebuild after I bent my front rotor in a get off in the rocks. I did upgrade to braided brake lines which helped the feel. The original brake lines were about 10 years old. I think the manual says to replace the lines every 4 years.

I just take the whole thing off the bike,   Hang it up from the caliber.   Crack the bleeder,   let it sit for a while.   Then squeeze the lever gently until fluid comes out.      Only have to do it once.