Sign in to follow this  

Taking the plunge

New to Thumpertalk! I'm gonna take the plunge and spring for the '16 500 EXC. I've been over n over forums about these bikes and I think I've got a fairly good grasp on what needs to be done to make them right. But, just want some opinions based on experience.

TPS adjust, piggyback tuner, or EU map (if that's even possible)?

Gearing for mostly single track, some street and highway? 14/50? KTM claims the 16 has 14/50...true?

Of course the giant flap hanging off the rear fender has to go.

185lbs with gear.... Suspension settings for aggressive dirt?

4.1 or knock the screens out? Don't want it too loud... Or too quiet.

And how bout things I need to make the dealer do before I hand him 10 g's?

Please advise.

IMHO;  14/50 will be fine, you'll still have near 100mph top speed.  I'm lighter than you at 160#, but the suspension is fantastic for fun-paced riding off-road and very soft but surprisingly resistant to bottoming on the motocross track (great for fun, but you wont' win any races with it).  I personally really like the stock exhaust.  There's no such thing as too quiet, and the stock exhaust is a stellar balance of very quiet and still tons of power.  If you keep the stock exhaust, the TPS tweak should be all you need.  If you open the exhaust you'll probably want to add the JD tuner or the euro map, and you might still tweak the TPS for smoothness down low.  You'll want a skid plate, the cases look very exposed without it.  For the really tight stuff the G2 throttle tamer is fantastic, it really helps you stay smooth, which translates to faster and less tiring.  Enjoy the new ride! 

Do a search on this subforum, every question you are asking has been covered a bunch of times.  Plenty of answers depending on how you plan on riding the bike and your skill level.

• Like 1

My advice would be ride the bike stock and set the clickers to the sport settings in the manual or maybe even 1 click further in.  I weight about 195 and thats what I use.  Bike is good 90% of the aggressive riding I do, with the exception being pounding through big whoops and some washboard type loose sand over hard.  Bike feels too soft in the whoops and like the suspension is too fast/busy in the washboard stuff.  Everywhere else its the best bike I've ridden.  My bike is EU mapped with the stock exhaust.   I like the quiet exhaust note and I feel it has plenty of power and snap with the heavily restricted stock exhaust S/A.  

• Like 1

New to Thumpertalk! I'm gonna take the plunge and spring for the '16 500 EXC. I've been over n over forums about these bikes and I think I've got a fairly good grasp on what needs to be done to make them right. But, just want some opinions based on experience.

Gearing for mostly single track, some street and highway? 14/50? KTM claims the 16 has 14/50...true?

Please advise.

Having a 16 500 exc I just went through everything you're asking about.

Tps tool, .63

14/50 sprockets, comes with 15/45

Sicass fender eliminator kit

Sport settings for the suspension

Fmf 4.1 muffler. Not really any louder, just lower deeper sound

Have the dealer install a gpr steering stabilizer. It's the best upgrade by far.

Do the first oil change at 1 hour.

Then desmog the bike.

Edited by Deepseadan

Please advise.

No need for TPS or map.

Comes with 15/45, 14/50 is good.

Suspension, I'm not too impressed with.

Knock / drill the screens out.

Bike doesn't really live-up to all the "hype".

Edited by Throttle5

I hit 93 mph with my 15 exc 500 with 14/50 stock tires I'm 300 lbs. You might want to balance wheels before doing this mine didn't like 73 mph but around 80 smoothed out again. As for the gearing you might be looking at the euro model I think us only have 15/45 for smog or noise restraints not sure someone will know more about this. As for what you can make your dealer do I had them change springs but your right in the area bike is made for in weight. They should help you set it up for you if there is something that you really want aftermarket ask they may put it on for free if its something they sell you spent 10k in there shop they could give discount on stuff they sell.

Edited by J03lz