Sign in to follow this  

Looking to buy 2012 KTM 200xc-w have questions

Hey guys, here is another thread looking for pre purchase advice.

backround info:

6'2 - 200 LBS 28 years old

One year experiance riding on a piece of (poop) GIO 250 4 stroke.

Ride 90% rocky single trails, and the odd day here or there at the MX track

After plenty of research i have decided i would like to buy a KTM 2 stroke XC somewhere in the 200-300cc range.

Why?

1) My friend has a CRF250x, i find it a little heavy.  Would like the weight saving of a 2s.

2) 2s is a little more user friendly for repairs and maintenance

3) I like orange

Questions:

1) In your opinions, will 200cc be powerfully enough to pull me up rocky/muddy/sandy hills?

2) in my area i see 2 KTM 2012 200XCw forsale, basically the same price. One has a little less time on the ODD (42h) vs (75h).  The one with 75h has a Rekluse clutch.  From what i read, the zpro clutch is not always seen as a good upgrade.  Opinion?

3) Why might someone sell a 2012 bike.  Anything specific i should look for?

4) I have heard people say that a 200cc 2 stroke will have power similer to 350cc 4 stroke.  Is there truth to this?

Thanks!!!

Edited by Sp3c1a7K

Even if u r climbing mountains at high elevation, the 200 will be fine. And it will make u a better rider. And they r really fun. I'd lean toward the lower hour bike if it's in solid shape. I'm not a fan of auto clutches, some guys won't ride without them. It's personal preference. I think it's a crutch.

Look for wear, leaks, damage, signs of poor maintenance, overall condition... Etc...

Some people go thru bikes fairly often. We...errr I mean they, like to switch it up often...

• Like 3

I weigh about the same as you and love my 200. I ride up to 10k feet and can't complain. It's a great bike, especially if you haven't ridden much. I have had 450s, 400, 300 and always find myself wanting my 200 again. They are great bikes. Both are pretty low hours, I don't like Rekluse, but I know some that do. Research it some and see if you would like it. 

The 350 and 200 have almost identical power, but the 350 may have more torque....I'm not sure.  Either way the 200 is a great bike and I think it would suit your needs well.

Edited by brysonrs
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback. I was only looking for a power comparison because I have riden a few 4stroke bikes. 150cc-450cc. I have also owned street motorcycles for 10 years. I have never been on a 2 stroke before. So I just wanted to get someone's feedback on comparing them.

At your weight, I would get a 250...especially if you're a novice. Don't get me wrong, a 200 is a GREAT bike and a great learning tool, but it's not all that forgivable with mistakes. Whereas a 250 would give you a little more wiggle room and is more forgiveable. As for the hour thing, generally you get the lower hour bike...but that doesn't always mean it's the less beat bike. I would consider both of these bikes on the "lower" hour side. And like others have said, although the power comparisons don't matter all that much...make no mistake; a 350 will blow a 200 out of the water any day of the week and twice on Sunday

• Like 1

The KTM 350 4-stroke is pretty on par with the KTM 300 2-stroke.  The 450/500 are in a class of their own. The 4-strokes just make so much power.

Edited by motonack

A friend of mine rides an '05 200, he's 5'10" and about 225 ~ and he's damn fast. 

Answers to your questions:

1.  If you can't make it up a reasonable sized hill, it's not the bikes fault.

2.  When buying used, condition is "king" and mods are second.  Buy the nicest one that hopefully has mods that you won't have to buy.

3.  Some guys are just rich or lucky enough to buy a new bike sooner than others, bring a friend and check it over good ~ that's about all you can do.

4.  The 200 2t is the anti 250f.  The 200 is lighter, it has more power and it costs less.  In the Hp wars a 350f would destroy a 200, against a 350f the 200 only has light weight and a lower price point.

Edited by zig06

I have the 2011 200 and weigh 200 before gear. Was as heavy as 230 for the first few years I had it. I have never been in a situation where I wished for more power and the bike has never failed to take me up any hill.

My friend has the 2012. It feels lighter and turns better than my older generation 2011. Win win for you if snag it.

• Like 1

I have the 2012 200w. I am an A rider in technical terrains.  I go 195 w/o gear 225 in gear.  It's a fun bike with no equal where it gets really tight.  Armored with tons of protection, extra tube, tools/irons the bike goes 236 RTR.  Probably 10lb lighter then same equipped bike 250/300 WITHOUT e-start let alone with it.

I really like the bike BUT I dont care to rev/pin a bike trying to go REAL fast.  It's fun for a little bit but for ME it gets old.  I'm too busy on the bike, shifting and such keeping up with buds on the trail.  Things change dramatically when it gets tighter.  Also railing turns has you thinking "did I just do that".  Nice to feel like a pro on occasion. lol

I have a Rekluse Pro, and you hear the auto crutch comments alot and I just chuckle at them.  I used to be a reasonably good clutch guy but decided I cant beat the perfect engagement/disengagement of the Rekluse auto.  Plus its more then just a clutch thing.  Its also about control of the dirt bike period.  It has some negatives for sure but a keeper for me.

Before buying this bike ya gotta ask yourself what kind of rider are you, what do you like, where do you ride most, do you like reving, or are you a lugger or somewhere in between.

If you do go with a 200 two things dramatically change the bike for me.  Rekluse and a Gnarly pipe.

Edited by Sycamore
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to take a look at the first 200 tomorrow. I hope everything looks good, I just might pull the trigger. Pictures too come.

• Like 1

I had a recluse pro in my 07 250 (315ht) xcfw and it was great for trail riding but i was 

for a title at the time and removed it, it just didn't work as good in the turns for me. i'm not racing competitively any more so may be in the market for another one. i'm 5 11, 200 wog and my 200 is fine, with the weight ad power of the 200 its not far off a 250 but does require more shifting. Good luck with your new bike and the 200 is never the wrong bike!

Went to see the bike, was really great but the guy was too firm on his price and iI couldnt afford it. Running down a couple other leads. And I have 2 more questions.

Some of the bikes i go to see have e-start and lights... And some don't... Even in same year. Anyone know why?

Went to see the bike, was really great but the guy was too firm on his price and iI couldnt afford it. Running down a couple other leads. And I have 2 more questions.

Some of the bikes i go to see have e-start and lights... And some don't... Even in same year. Anyone know why?

Here's a bit more info to consider:

Lights: Many bikes are pre-wired for a headlight & easily added anytime at reasonable costs. Plug & play.

E-start: Not so easily added feature & better to find a bike with e-start if you want it. Do your research on earlier model e-starts...plenty of issues to be considered.

Looks like you're getting closer to purchase & better informed along the way. Post pics when it's in the stall  :thumbsup:

I would highly recommend buying a estart version if you are into riding tight gnarly terrain. And don't listen to the folks who say that nobody needs it. I use mine so often and if you intend to race the bike even more.

I have a '13 and I am really glad to have the magic button. If you have more questions, keep asking.

• Like 2

I would highly recommend buying a estart version if you are into riding tight gnarly terrain. And don't listen to the folks who say that nobody needs it. I use mine so often and if you intend to race the bike even more.

I have a '13 and I am really glad to have the magic button. If you have more questions, keep asking.

i wouldn't say 'nobody' needs estart, but I would say that only fat old lazy people need it, or short weak girls.

i do use mine occasionally since I couldn't get the bike without it, but I sure as heck don't need it. Just one more thing to work on. I like it on my wife's bike tho, makes it less likely I'll have to stop and help her.

;)

• Like 1

So I am fat, old and lazy, ah oh and a girl. But hell if my balls where as big as those of all those hardcore kickstarterkicking young dudes, I would not make it up the smallest hill, cause they would always get mangled into the chain and stop the bike (they are hard as steel those balls). Lucky me! Nevermind

• Like 1

i wouldn't say 'nobody' needs estart, but I would say that only fat old lazy people need it, or short weak girls.

i do use mine occasionally since I couldn't get the bike without it, but I sure as heck don't need it. Just one more thing to work on. I like it on my wife's bike tho, makes it less likely I'll have to stop and help her.

;)[/

Edited by markit