Sign in to follow this  

Washington Weyerhaeuser buys Plum Creek in $8.4B timber deal

kinda like rolling dice.....sometimes ya wish ya didn't.  The big W has closed areas on us before. Just sucks that some of the best riding in the country is at risk due to nothing. :(

Edited by Slackkinhard
  • Like 1

Probably a bad thing.  Plum Creek has been more favorable to recreation in WA than Weyco in recent years.  Weyco has been shutting down public access and selling limited permits in OR and parts of WA.

Probably a bad thing.  Plum Creek has been more favorable to recreation in WA than Weyco in recent years.  Weyco has been shutting down public access and selling limited permits in OR and parts of WA.

I agree. A friend has property near Vesta on the North River, an area west of and bigger than Capitol Forest with most of the timber land owned by Weyco and gated for no public access. 

When you go from a more locally based company to one that has morphed into a multi national conglomerate corporation you'll see their tolerance for risk is less while completely ignoring local issues.

• Like 1

Years ago W used it's open gates to leverage a Boeing style tax deal with the state. When they didn't get it they locked up and blamed garbage and vandalism for the reason, which was problem.   Miss the open gates, family camp spots fishing hunting.

• Like 1

WOHVA is working with them.....be sure to attend the meetings if you can  :thumbsup:

The Nature Conservancy will have people speaking at the WOHVA meeting on Sunday talking about their Taneum plans.

• Like 1

IMO. Bad because every time I have seen Weyerhaeuser land there was a sign at the gate stating no motorized vehicles. They have a reputation of cutting off motorized recreation on the lands they buy . If you guys have people working with them , maybe it will be ok. I don't live in that area and have never heard of plum creek.

Edited by johnspeak

Plum Creek is a major land owner and employer in NW Montana, at present we have a number of trails that cross PC land which I would hope they will still honor in that they are part of USFS and State legal trails, however, we will have to stay in contact and attend any meetings regarding the same.

• Like 2

Are there any existing legal motorcycle trails in Washington State on the land Weyerhaeuser is buying from Plum Creek.

Seeing that most of Plum Creek land is off limits to ORV use(from what I have seen) they are friendly to hunters. Weyerhauser on the other hand closed everything up and issue a limited number of permits to hunters. If you're lucky enough to get one it's $75ish for you and your immediate family(spouse,kids) to walk in and $200ish to drive in. Now if you and your hunting buddy want to go on Weyerhauser land both of you must have a permit.