Sign in to follow this  

Gearing question... 15/44 to much?

So right now im running 13t (stock) on the front and a 44t on the rear. My top speed is around 110 at rev limiter and 6500 rpm around 65mph (freeway speed around here). Im thinking i spend so little time in 1st anyways that I could go to 15t on the front for better highway cruising. Is there any issue with that? Im a street bike guy gone Sumo, so Im used to gearing for lower top speed. And I know sometimes the ratio between the 2 can be drastic enough to cause wear issues and effect driveability. You think ill kill to much tq? Im thinking its 15 bucks and some time. If anything I can put right back. Im kinda interested in the 130mph top speed jk lol, I know I know 130 on a dirtbike would be sketch! lol 110 aint bad tho. I was looking at this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunstar-Steel-Front-Sprocket-15T-32515-/351421688538?fits=Model%3AKLX450R&hash=item51d25d6ada:g:9tkAAOSwl8NVdjEL&vxp=mtr

I don't believe you could archive top speed in 5th gear with 15/44, may be too much to pull but it may be good for highway cruising, like an OD.  In no way will a stock KLX-450r reach 130mph despite any gearing.

I don't believe you could archive top speed in 5th gear with 15/44, may be too much to pull but it may be good for highway cruising, like an OD.  In no way will a stock KLX-450r reach 130mph despite any gearing.

Oh yeah I know that, like I said im JK when it comes to a top speed of 130, I would only want some more rpm room on the freeway. If traffic is moving at 70-75 it wont be a big deal to speed up a little. Right now i feel like my baby is screaming when i maintain 75.

It might not be revving as high as it sounds.
With stock gearing (13/50) I got 135km/h max, now with a 14/50 combo I get 165km/h max.

At 100km/h it sounds like it's revving too high but then it does go on to pull a fair way.

One thing I've noticed is after I changed the header to a kxf style, I lost some top end speed.

I'm not even sure if you'd get a 15 tooth on there, the 14 takes pretty well all the space, it's so close to rubbing the sprocket cover bolts at the moment.

With stock gearing (13/50) I got 135km/h max, now with a 14/50 combo I get 165km/h max.

You can't change your gear ratio 7% higher and get a top speed difference of 18% higher.  BS

Something else must have changed!

180 main jet & jet needle on 4th clip.

Have the 135km run on GoPro on hard drive somewhere. Can do another run on weekend with current sprockets.

With everything else the same, I would expect a 7% higher gear ratio to net less than 7% higher speed due to less torque and more wind resistance.  Am I missing something?

Not sure? Would Australian Model ('12) be different? (doubt it though)

I'll dig up the footage when I get home from work tonight.

15 tooth does fit. It eats a little into the swing arm guide tho. I run 15/50 to stunt. And 15/44 when running back roads fast. At 15/44 you can cruise 75 with so much more to spare. I have also tried a 15/39 combo when only on long sweeping (streetbike) turns. On the highway at 70mph you don't even have to click 5th lol its too tall imo