Sign in to follow this  

Chevy 1500 motor swap

Well... this will be my first motor swap ever and I'm just trying to figure out what all motors would practically drop down in my 1995 Chevy C1500 Cheyenne... It has the 5.0L 305 as of now.. looking for something a little more.... "FUN"

Edited by Lucifer_

350 drops right in and a 327 vortec isn't too much work to fit. Neither are that much fun but both have potential and lots of bolt on aftermarket goodies.

I was aiming for a 350 most likely.. Just not sure I can get one to push the 400hp or more I want

I was aiming for a 350 most likely.. Just not sure I can get one to push the 400hp or more I want

400hp is a realistic goal, but you're probably better starting with a 327 vortec. They are claimed at 338hp stock and you can get one cheap at any wrecking yard.

• Like 1

400hp is a realistic goal, but you're probably better starting with a 327 vortec. They are claimed at 338hp stock and you can get one cheap at any wrecking yard.

I read some stuff on the 5.7L Ls1 and it seems fairly promising as well

This beast has the stock 5.7 with a whopping 210HP. The 5-speed manual is geared way long and towing anything of weight is an absolute nightmare. Hope this helps.

FF2D00BC-BDAE-415F-849F-A0C9831502B6_zps

Well... this will be my first motor swap ever and I'm just trying to figure out what all motors would practically drop down in my 1995 Chevy C1500 Cheyenne... It has the 5.0L 305 as of now.. looking for something a little more.... "FUN"

Port injected or throttle body? Grab a 305, fits in the exact same hole.

LS3/L92 6.2 liter? Start looking for busted Cadillac Escalade and GMC Yukon Denalis. That will be your biggest bang for the buck. 430hp out of the box I think. 

Or just go LS3 create motor, then you don't have to worry about the history of the motor and it comes with all the stuff needed to get it to run. 

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines/ls3.html

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-12631106/overview/

By the time you are done building a junk yard motor to get the power you need you will already be at $6k. Might as well just buy new motor, chevy already did all the R&D  to make a reliable daily driver motor with 430hp. 

Edited by rharr

Did anyone read the O.P.? It says practically drop down in my 1995 Chevy C1500 Cheyenne; LS swaps with their transmissions and processors do not "just drop in."

If you are going to use a 350 and you are really serious about 400 horse, that motor will need minimum 6,000-6,200 rpm. The camshaft to run that rpm will produce about 10-12 psi of vacuum at idle. You cannot run TBI that you currently have, it will not run with anything less than 16-17. You screw with vacuum the truck will not run.

You will have to go carbureted, a very good head, and quite a bit of cam to achieve that. 400 horse 350 is quite a bit more motor than you might believe.

• Like 1

LS engines are not a "drop in"in any sense of the word. No such thing as a 327 Vortec. 400 horsepower from a TBI engine of any displacement is not realistic. A 5.7 (350) TBI from any of that body style truck (1988-1995) will drop right in and are better than the 305 in every way. They use all the same sensors, manifolds, accessories, sheet metal, distributors, starters, intakes, etc. This being your first swap it would be best to keep it simple.

Edited by offrd beatr

The more I read this thread the more misinformation I see. 400 horsepower is a lot, contrary to what the internet tells you. It WILL destroy everything behind it. 4l60 has to be built but should be replaced as it is a maintenance item at those power levels, same for the manual transmissions that came in the half ton trucks. The first time it hooks up the weak-suck 10 bolt rear axle will puke its guts out or drop a c-clip and you get to watch your axleshaft with wheel and tire attached pass you by as the truck is dragging the body down the road. This is a good starting point for a very good hot rod. If you like carbs or are scared of efi stuff then any built up small block or big block would be cool. I actually agree with the 383 stroker suggestion above. A 4l80 and a strong rear end of your choice would be cool. 454SS trucks came with a 5 lug 14 bolt rear axle but good luck finding one of those. If you have to comply with emissions then you are limited to stock stuff. Elephant engines without supporting powertrain are cool if you like to replace junk all the time.

LS engines are not a "drop in"in any sense of the word. No such thing as a 327 Vortec. 400 horsepower from a TBI engine of any displacement is not realistic. A 5.7 (350) TBI from any of that body style truck (1988-1995) will drop right in and are better than the 305 in every way. They use all the same sensors, manifolds, accessories, sheet metal, distributors, starters, intakes, etc. This being your first swap it would be best to keep it simple.

+1

The more I read this thread the more misinformation I see. 400 horsepower is a lot, contrary to what the internet tells you. It WILL destroy everything behind it. 4l60 has to be built but should be replaced as it is a maintenance item at those power levels, same for the manual transmissions that came in the half ton trucks. The first time it hooks up the weak-suck 10 bolt rear axle will puke its guts out or drop a c-clip and you get to watch your axleshaft with wheel and tire attached pass you by as the truck is dragging the body down the road. This is a good starting point for a very good hot rod. If you like carbs or are scared of efi stuff then any built up small block or big block would be cool. I actually agree with the 383 stroker suggestion above. A 4l80 and a strong rear end of your choice would be cool. 454SS trucks came with a 5 lug 14 bolt rear axle but good luck finding one of those. If you have to comply with emissions then you are limited to stock stuff. Elephant engines without supporting powertrain are cool if you like to replace junk all the time.

Good quote but I do believe this truck will more than likely still have a 700R4. A 4L60 will not work on carb motor without stand alone but the benefit of this transmission is the one piece input shaft verses the 700R4 two piece.

Now 400 horse on a big block is very mild but on a small block it is a different story. I too get over the entirely over inflated horsepower quotes I hear. I have done a lot of work in the PSCA so I have seen first hand what mild motors can do in a well set up car. My friend grenaded his 477 and is using a stock bottom 427 with TRW pistons, stock closed chamber oval ports, Paul Klyczek Victor Jr and Dominator with a 250 shot and runs mid 10's at Bandimere; 6000 feet altitude. Car is 3100 pounds. Put that into perspective for a second. This motor is fairly mild big block and you lose almost a quarter of your horsepower at this altitude. So when you talk about 400 horsepower in a small block, it means a lot more than people believe

In trucks they changed the name in 1991 but are the same thing, its electronically controlled in 93, no longer referred to as a 700r but as a 4l60-E. Added pulse width modulation in 95. The '95 is a one year only deal. They changed the PWM around in 96 and changed input shafts and other junk with the change to LS architecture. Honestly its a marginal trans in any year/iteration.