Sign in to follow this  

96 xr400 super moto conversion - Help!

Hi guys,
This has probably been asked before but I can't find the answers anywhere. I have recently bought a 96 Honda xr400 with the intent of motarding it. i have a 1989 zxr250a which i planned on using the wheels for. buuuuuut,
How do i make them fit! what spacers need to go where and where do I get them, do the wheels need to be machined? how will the sprockets fit etc?
I'm happy to provide any measurements necessary but I don't know where to start, as is always the case this conversion will be done on a tight budget so buying the proper motard rims are almost out of the question.
I really appreciate any and all help!

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

Once you measure everything, you should know what to do. It's unlikely that someone makes the spacers you need, but they should be easy for anyone with a lathe. Machining the wheel is a bigger ordeal, but not impossible.

Your best bet is to measure everything.

Width at the axle, offset from rotor mount to where the hub meets the frame or fork, and the same for the rotor. Do this for both sets of wheels, and add and subtract material (spacers and machining) until you can make the zx wheels match the xr in every dimension. You could possibly shim the rotor and sprocket instead if only a little bit of machining is needed

I hope you are kidding. You are going to take the wheels of a very rare and desirable sport bike and use them for a supermoto conversion?

I hope you are kidding. You are going to take the wheels of a very rare and desirable sport bike and use them for a supermoto conversion?

I don't think they're terribly rare in australia. 

It cant be explained.

takes a lathe and tooling to machine bushings.

The shop will need the bike....or swingarm with forks /trees.

Never easy...never cheap.

I've done many.

45.jpg

thumper.jpg

h2final.jpg