Sign in to follow this  

Swingarm bearing/thrust washer removal

XR 600 or 650L question. Getting ready to replace my swingarm bearings. There is what they call a thrust washer pressed in on the outside of the swingarm before the actual bearing. Does this press out at the same time with the bearing or do I need to remove it first and then the bearing? I'm guessing it comes out together as there is no lip between bearing and thrust washer, but I don't want to butcher it by being wrong.

Thanks for any help!

XR 600 or 650L question. Getting ready to replace my swingarm bearings. There is what they call a thrust washer pressed in on the outside of the swingarm before the actual bearing. Does this press out at the same time with the bearing or do I need to remove it first and then the bearing? I'm guessing it comes out together as there is no lip between bearing and thrust washer, but I don't want to butcher it by being wrong.

Thanks for any help!

It'll come right out. No issue.

To get the bearing itself out I used threaded rod with an ovaled washer with an ovaled hole in the middle, tilt the washer on the threads and it fits through the bearing, washer tilts 90 degrees to the threads and it grips the bearing from behind, then use it like a puller.

To get the bearing itself out I used threaded rod with an ovaled washer with an ovaled hole in the middle, tilt the washer on the threads and it fits through the bearing, washer tilts 90 degrees to the threads and it grips the bearing from behind, then use it like a puller.

Did you buy or make the ovaled washer?

Filed it and tilted it on a drill bit. Think I put 2 together for enough strength.

Here's a fancy version someone made for a heavier job-

654226.jpg

Edited by XR650L_Dave