Sign in to follow this  

Chain slack

I have a 2011 crf450r. I'm going to be putting on a smaller front sprocket. Will that effect the chain slack and if so how much should I adjust it out. Thanks

One tooth. Right now when the bike is on the stand the chain in resting on the swing arm. Seems like it's rubbing it because there are groves in the rubber protector

You should be fine, you certainly don't want it too tight. I usually just make sure I can get fit three fingers between the chain and swing arm. My chain always rest on the chain guard when not running.

Edited by Scojo12
  • Like 1

Yes it will effect slack. Yes you should adjust according to the manual. Fingers should not be used as a measuring device unless you had them calibrated.

• Like 3

I agree with above. Use the manual to adjust and as a hint the bike needs to be on the ground.

With the correct slack, you want to try and have your chain adjustment blocks on the rear axle about in the middle.

On a positive note, worse case with going with a smaller sprocket is that you MAY have to remove a link and not have to buy a new chain.

Finger method if you don't have access to a manual and only as a reference. In your garage you should do it right with a tape measure and measure in a few spots according to spec.

As scojo stated above, 3 fingers off the chain guide top of the swing arm, is the ticket, subtracting 1 tooth shouldn't ruin your gear ratio.

1 tooth WILL effect your gear ratio

• Like 1

Yes it will effect slack. Yes you should adjust according to the manual. Fingers should not be used as a measuring device unless you had them calibrated.

Mine have been calibrated, they are 57mm. Perfect for 54-60mm specs :thumbsup:

1 front equals 3 rear. The smaller you go the more pressure the chain will put on the swing arm slides. Chain groves in the swing arm slides are normal but make sure you don't wear through. Be sure you stay within the spec from Honda. 12-14 I think but you should verify.

Edited by ramjetV8
  • Like 1

1 front equals 3 rear. The smaller you go the more pressure the chain will put on the swing arm slides. Chain groves in the swing arm slides are normal but make sure you don't wear through. Be sure you stay within the spec from Honda. 12-14 I think but you should verify.

Not necessarily, 12/48, 4-1, 13/52, 4-1. Four teeth difference.