Sign in to follow this  

New 450 for Jday help

Hey guys, looking to get a new bike seen a few 13,14,15 left overs for good deals and of course the 16 at the dealership for full retail.

I did my research and looks like the 15 is the best bang for the buck.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I've heard the previous models are dogs but it that mellow power better on the woods?? Is the 15 going to be a hand full?

Right now I ride a gen 3 cr250 and love it. This will be my first 450.

Any input is good.

I just got my first 4t after being on 2 strokes my whole life. I am a Vet B rider competing in the National Enduros Series and local Hare scrambles. I went with a 13 crf450 and I love it. The so called "mellow" power is awesome! That being said here is what I have found to be drawbacks. Flameouts suck! The 2t will continue to pull down to virtually zero rpms. The 450 will flameout without warning and you will go over the handlebars. You will find yourself using the clutch a lot in the slower stuff. Stock gearing is way too high. I instantly went to a 50 tooth rear sprocket and it made a big difference. The stock gas tank is too small. I went with an Acerbis 2.7 gallon and it does the job just fine. The air forks do not like mud and dirt and seal savers are a must if you are riding off-road. If your seals start to leak your day is done because you loose your air pressure and the forks collapse.

All that being said I love this bike. It is so light and handles like a champ. Power delivery is perfect for off-road. And with the 4t you can just roll on the throttle and get yourself out of trouble a lot of the time. Don't let some MX guy show you a dyno sheet and tell you that these things are dogs. Even at 52 hp. you will be gaining 10 hp over your cr250.

Edited by memphis2857

Hey guys, looking to get a new bike seen a few 13,14,15 left overs for good deals and of course the 16 at the dealership for full retail.

Anyone have thoughts on this? I've heard the previous models are dogs but it that mellow power better on the woods?? Is the 15 going to be a hand full?

Any input is good.

For MX the small changes from 15 to 16 are noticable. I find going from Gen 3 to new crf very easy.First mod i would recommend is getting rid of judder spring  and turning idle up. Cost you one fiber clutch plate:) Love the 16!!!!!!

If you are buying a new (not used) one, I would go for the best deal.  Because going from a 2 stroke to one of these you will most likely be looking to upgrade the motor/pipe/clutch.  The 16 will be the most refined since its the last year for the current gen (hopefully at least).  Personally I would go with a new 13 or 14 and use the money for upgrades or just wait for the 17's.

I have a 03 CR250 and bought my first 450 back in May.  I have never had a flameout on mine.  Mine is pretty fast, never had a issue with power, you will find it easier to ride than the CR but I still think not as fun as the 2 stroke.  Handles awesome, 

I have a 2012, btw.  Its a great option too, you could probably find a nice low hour one with some upgrades for around $3800 and you still get spring forks.

• Like 1

If you are buying a new (not used) one, I would go for the best deal. Because going from a 2 stroke to one of these you will most likely be looking to upgrade the motor/pipe/clutch. The 16 will be the most refined since its the last year for the current gen (hopefully at least). Personally I would go with a new 13 or 14 and use the money for upgrades or just wait for the 17's.

I have a 03 CR250 and bought my first 450 back in May. I have never had a flameout on mine. Mine is pretty fast, never had a issue with power, you will find it easier to ride than the CR but I still think not as fun as the 2 stroke. Handles awesome,

I have a 2012, btw. Its a great option too, you could probably find a nice low hour one with some upgrades for around $3800 and you still get spring forks.

How are the forks on the 15's?? Mind you this bike will be 75-90% of its life in fast aggressive single track not mx

Any input is good.

I wouldn't recommend a CRF450R for JDay due to the dead engine start. You'll be playing catch up and left behind at the start

the winning bikes are usually KTM 300 2 strokes. There's a a pattern there.

Edited by nesc103y

i own a 01 cr250 and that bike is my main ride, i love that bike. I also have a crf450, its on 07 so not as new as you were looking at but as far as power, there is a lot there, it just doesn't deliver like a 2t. its a lot of fun to ride, don't get me wrong i always enjoy myself. It is just far more predictable and I've never had issues of a flameout. Idk if that is an efi issue but I've run out of power on my cr, but never on my crf. From research i have done, i was looking at going new with efi but decided against it because i ride in the same climate almost year around except for when i go to glamis and i ride mainly sand and track so elevation is not a big change for me, i decided to save a few bucks but i know from research that 15 is supposed to be great, i haven't read much about the 16. 

I wouldn't recommend a CRF450R for JDay due to the dead engine start. You'll be playing catch up and left behind at the start

the winning bikes are usually KTM 300 2 strokes. There's a a pattern there.

Remove the judder spring and adjust the clutch properly and the bike will start in gear all day everyday!

Remove the judder spring and adjust the clutch properly and the bike will start in gear all day everyday!

That's exactly what I've heard, there are plenty of 450's at Jday and I'm not getting rid of my cr just want a four stroke in the stable.

JDay events are dead engine start.

If your half a kick late lighting the engine the pack has gone and you're playing catch up.

Even with the judder removed the CRF450R is not a start in gear motor.

If you want to attend these events and just circulate through the woods then yeah the CRF450R is fine.

If you want to compete, look at whats doing well

JDay events are dead engine start.

If your half a kick late lighting the engine the pack has gone and you're playing catch up.

Even with the judder removed the CRF450R is not a start in gear motor.

If you want to attend these events and just circulate through the woods then yeah the CRF450R is fine.

If you want to compete, look at whats doing well

I race dead engine starts all the time. Will the 450 get the holeshot? Probably not. But you can get to the first turn in the top 5. Aren't the JDay races 2 hours? Or are they run as a 2 Moto type deal?

Another consideration for the CRF450R is the width of the cases. They are wide in comparison to the 2 stroke bikes and will catch on rocks and tree stumps.

My son ran JDays events on his 13 CRF450R. It is not a good bike for tight single track courses.

He has also run a KTM300 and found the KTM much better in the tight stuff.

I race dead engine starts all the time. Will the 450 get the holeshot? Probably not. But you can get to the first turn in the top 5. Aren't the JDay races 2 hours? Or are they run as a 2 Moto type deal?

2 30 min moto's

For MX the small changes from 15 to 16 are noticable. I find going from Gen 3 to new crf very easy.First mod i would recommend is getting rid of judder spring  and turning idle up. Cost you one fiber clutch plate:) Love the 16!!!!!!

Phil - Would you mind elaborating on your comment ?   I thought you were on a 15 YZF450 & also how does the 16 CRF450r compare to the 15 YZF450 ?   Thanks. 

Phil - Would you mind elaborating on your comment ?   I thought you were on a 15 YZF450 & also how does the 16 CRF450r compare to the 15 YZF450 ?   Thanks. 

Your message box is full.

Another consideration for the CRF450R is the width of the cases. They are wide in comparison to the 2 stroke bikes and will catch on rocks and tree stumps.

My son ran JDays events on his 13 CRF450R. It is not a good bike for tight single track courses.

He has also run a KTM300 and found the KTM much better in the tight stuff.

2 30 min moto's

starts are much more important in that case. Don't think that the only 2 stroke available is the KTM. Check out the Beta or the new yz250x. I have ridden both and would take either one over a KTM. Both are excellent bikes and cheaper too!

starts are much more important in that case. Don't think that the only 2 stroke available is the KTM. Check out the Beta or the new yz250x. I have ridden both and would take either one over a KTM. Both are excellent bikes and cheaper too!

I've also been looking at the yz250x as well.

I've also been looking at the yz250x as well.

2 of my riding buddies have them and love them. They have a ton of low end power and the motocross hit is virtually gone. The suspension is the best out of the box you will find.

2 of my riding buddies have them and love them. They have a ton of low end power and the motocross hit is virtually gone. The suspension is the best out of the box you will find.

What about mid and top end power?