Sign in to follow this  

Rear CRF master cylinder SS lines

For those of you that did the CRF swap, can you tell me if aftermarket DRZ brake lines like HEL will work with the CRF rear master cylinder?

On two other notes:

Can someone tell me where I can pick up a CRF master cylinder for a decent price? I've looked but have only been able to find crap.

And can someone link a good write up? I've searched this forum and Google for a while but it isn't revealing that much of which part to get (from what year, I've heard that they switched the style??)

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, a stainless line for the DR-Z works fine with the CRF master. I don't even remember anymore, but I think mine is Venhill.

Again, I don't remember exactly but I think I used a 2008 CRF450 master.

There's not much to write up because the CRF master bolts right up to the DR-Z frame. The only thing you need to do is remove some material on the CRF master brake line stop so that the brake line is directed to the same spot as the factory master. Once you have the CRF master in hand you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

There's not much to write up because the CRF master bolts right up to the DR-Z frame. The only thing you need to do is remove some material on the CRF master brake line stop so that the brake line is directed to the same spot as the factory master. Once you have the CRF master in hand you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm guessing it's so the hose will be at the same angle?

What's the benefit to doing this? Does it make the brake feel better? I'm guessing the main thing is to avoid the common issue of the "bulge" the plastic resivior is known to get (mine bulged within 3k miles and was $53 bucks plus shipping to replace)

Also anyone confirm the years used? I'm intrigued by this mod now since this is the first I've heard of it haha.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

What's the benefit to doing this? Does it make the brake feel better? I'm guessing the main thing is to avoid the common issue of the "bulge" the plastic resivior is known to get (mine bulged within 3k miles and was $53 bucks plus shipping to replace)

Also anyone confirm the years used? I'm intrigued by this mod now since this is the first I've heard of it haha.

It's a common mod. Pedal feel is said to be much improved and it negates any bulging issue. There are some people commenting about it.

I'm still trying to find where I can buy the darn crf master cylinder though haha

• Like 1

Probably just eBay like this one

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2007-Honda-CRF450R-CRF-450-Rear-Brake-Master-Cylinder-/141824056971?nav=SEARCH

This one has some bling

http://m.ebay.com/itm/2002-2016-Honda-CRF450R-CRF250R-OEM-Rear-Brake-Master-Cylinder-Stock-CRF-450R-/161881484835?nav=SEARCH

Looks like rebuild kits for them are fairly cheap. All balls (good brand) has rebuild kits for $24

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

Just be aware that the CRF master has a longer pedal throw. Even with the lever adjusted down it will sit about where the stock DRZ pedal sits. I threw a CRF master from ebay on my E and with the pedal adjusted as low as I can get it and still have full travel it makes rear braking a royal pain with full MX boots on.

I've heard that an Aprilia rear master works, is set up like the CRF unit, and it is the same pedal height as a lowered DRZ master. Not sure what bikes these are pulled from though. I still have to do some digging on the net.

Just be aware that the CRF master has a longer pedal throw. Even with the lever adjusted down it will sit about where the stock DRZ pedal sits. I threw a CRF master from ebay on my E and with the pedal adjusted as low as I can get it and still have full travel it makes rear braking a royal pain with full MX boots on.

I've heard that an Aprilia rear master works, is set up like the CRF unit, and it is the same pedal height as a lowered DRZ master. Not sure what bikes these are pulled from though. I still have to do some digging on the net.

If you can find out which Aprilia master it is please post it up. The thing is, I actually like my brake perch set up almost (few mm lower) to even with my peg. Though I'd imagine the Aprilia would be a decent bit more pricey than the crf lol

I have my pedal set the same as factory and have absolutely no problem locking the rear up while wearing MX boots.