Sign in to follow this  

Baffle stuck in FMF Q4 pipe

Hello everybody,

I've got the FMF Q4 pipe on my CRF 250L, and I wanted to remove the baffle today. I have done this already about a year ago, just to hear how loud it was. As it was very loud, I simply put the baffle back in. Now I want to make the exhaust even more quiet, so I want to try another baffle that I hope will help. (quiet insert). But I can't get the old baffle out! I removed the screw offcourse, and tried alot of WD40 but it will not move. Any suggestions? I've been pulling on it with a hook but I'm affraid I will break something if I continue like that.

Hello everybody,

I've got the FMF Q4 pipe on my CRF 250L, and I wanted to remove the baffle today. I have done this already about a year ago, just to hear how loud it was. As it was very loud, I simply put the baffle back in. Now I want to make the exhaust even more quiet, so I want to try another baffle that I hope will help. (quiet insert). But I can't get the old baffle out! I removed the screw offcourse, and tried alot of WD40 but it will not move. Any suggestions? I've been pulling on it with a hook but I'm affraid I will break something if I continue like that.

It will require the use of a slide hammer if it is really stuck in there  .... there are some previous threads on the subject.  

I tried and failed to get mine out and just left it alone with screw removed ... still to this day it has not blown out .... :lol:

2990090.jpg?_v=5a94e708-b43a-47fc-b9d2-5

Edited by gnath9

Mine is still stuck as well.  Tried the slide hammer method but there is really no place to grip.  My local shop told me to take the can apart and push it out from the other side. 

• Like 1

^^^ Yep, take the can apart as he said, .............,,,,,, if you get it hot and it will not come out,,............freeze it and it will not come out........ then back to the take it apart... some repack it with a little extra packing to get quieter.

But check your jetting (plug color)...........after packing to be on the safe side. JMO

• Like 1

I had a spark arrester screen insert get stuck in the 450..............we destroyed the insert getting it out......werid though......... after we simply got it broke loose it was easy to move

its corrosion thats got it stuck...did you try liquid wrench...and tapping it.........my insert was seized at the end of the pipe.............really the only place it makes contact is the first 3/4" of an inch from the end of the pipe

• Like 1

If you don't mind losing it just keep riding till it pops out, which it probably will do eventually due to heat & vibration. 

• Like 1

Sounds like you already soaked what ever packing you had left with Wd-40 so minus well repack the pipe and take the sa out thru the inside of the cap. Packing is only $12 bucks or so and it will help with the noise as well.

Hello everybody,

I was wondering the quiet insert you mentioned (the new one you bought) are you sure it is not the same that already comes with the Q4................

Reason I ask is because I asked FMF about a quiet insert when I bought my Q4,,,, they said it comes with the only insert they offer (it has the spark arrestor screen attached) (also known as the SA)

I compared my PowerCore 4 SA without the "quieting insert" with the Q4 quieting insert that came with the Q4 pipe............... the Q4 SA simply has the spark arrestor screen attached to the quieting insert (this is what came originally with the Q4)

The PC4 has two options Quieting insert with out the spark arrestor screen.......... or the quieting insert with the screen built in (one piece)...........

The quieting insert on both pipes is simply a cone that is about 4" long bent at a 45 degree angle.................. I look inside my Q4 ,,,I see a cone (metal solid piece 4" long) with a screen attached to the end of it.

I look at my PC4 SA I see a screen with no cone..............I look at my PC4 "quieting insert" it has the 4" metal cone with a screen at the end of it (just like the Q4 that came from FMF originally)

Confussed yet?  ............ look inside your Q4 if there is a metal cone 4" long you have the quieting insert that came with the Q4

fmf_exhaust_inserts_4141_c_quiet_core_sp Quiet insert with SA fmf-040631_ml.jpg Quiet insert without SA fmf_09_tit_pow_cor_spa_arr_ins.jpg SA only

• Like 1

If you don't mind losing it just keep riding till it pops out, which it probably will do eventually due to heat & vibration. 

Mine has never flown out yet ....  :lol:    

I was wondering the quiet insert you mentioned (the new one you bought) are you sure it is not the same that already comes with the Q4................

Reason I ask is because I asked FMF about a quiet insert when I bought my Q4,,,, they said it comes with the only insert they offer (it has the spark arrestor screen attached) (also known as the SA)

I compared my PowerCore 4 SA without the "quieting insert" with the Q4 quieting insert that came with the Q4 pipe............... the Q4 SA simply has the spark arrestor screen attached to the quieting insert (this is what came originally with the Q4)

The PC4 has two options Quieting insert with out the spark arrestor screen.......... or the quieting insert with the screen built in (one piece)...........

The quieting insert on both pipes is simply a cone that is about 4" long bent at a 45 degree angle.................. I look inside my Q4 ,,,I see a cone (metal solid piece 4" long) with a screen attached to the end of it.

I look at my PC4 SA I see a screen with no cone..............I look at my PC4 "quieting insert" it has the 4" metal cone with a screen at the end of it (just like the Q4 that came from FMF originally)

Confussed yet?  ............ look inside your Q4 if there is a metal cone 4" long you have the quieting insert that came with the Q4

fmf_exhaust_inserts_4141_c_quiet_core_sp Quiet insert with SA fmf-040631_ml.jpg Quiet insert without SA fmf_09_tit_pow_cor_spa_arr_ins.jpg SA only

I did notice they looked alike when I was searching for info online. I was hoping that they would not be identical...but it sure does look like that. Well, then I guess I should open up the exhaust and repack it. Bollocks.