Sign in to follow this  

Chain sprocket question.....

So a while back I bought a 41 tooth rear sprocket for my 2001 DRZ400s, to bump the gearing a bit higher.  Well, I still have it and never installed it.  The bike has about 4,000 miles on it now, so I was thinking that it might be a good time to replace the front sprocket and chain at the same time I put the rear sprocket on.  So this got me to thinking......should I get a 16 tooth front sprocket to really bump up the gearing?   I ride exclusively on the street, so I don't really mind if first gear is a little taller at the benefit of dropping my highway revs.  I'd like to do a short (weekend) trip with it this next coming year, and I don't want it to be revving out like crazy at 70mph on the highway.  Is 16/41 a good option?   Also, I'm assuming I'll need a 520 chain?  (Sunstar 41 tooth rear sprocket ordered so far).  Any chain recommendations?   I'll also be replacing the now 15 year old tires, no matter how much tread they still have left on them!)

Thanks guys!

Warner

I would indulge in a sprocket gear ratio chart, that'll give you the torque ratios. If you do mainly street and highway I would go with less torque and go with the sprockets that give you more on the top end. I just went to a lower torque gear ratio but specifically for grinding up rutted hills... 11' drz400s

You should look into some street tread. And yes 520 chain. I would check out procycle.us for any DRZ specific parts. 16 -41 will give you that very top end on the highway, 520 chain, you'll need around 112 Links depending on where you set your rear axel.

Edited by steve.lang90
  • Like 1

I have 15/41 on my 18/21 wheels with no issues  . I can cruise at a relative low RPM on my short hwy trips at 60-65 . Stock bike with just 3x3 and jets . 

• Like 1

just going 41 on the rear will be pretty dramatic and will make it feel like every gear is longer, you can cruise 70 although imo the S is rough on tires and chains at that velocity .. i think a 16 front would be too much unless all your riding is highway ...  im sure theres plenty of decent chains, i bought a renthal awhile back and its been a good chain for me -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AQ42MO?colid=10T3L1LU879K6&coliid=I2HX9GP4HSFF43&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

• Like 1

just going 41 on the rear will be pretty dramatic and will make it feel like every gear is longer, you can cruise 70 although imo the S is rough on tires and chains at that velocity .. i think a 16 front would be too much unless all your riding is highway ...  im sure theres plenty of decent chains, i bought a renthal awhile back and its been a good chain for me -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002AQ42MO?colid=10T3L1LU879K6&coliid=I2HX9GP4HSFF43&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl

Yeah, you've been my go-to guy for this whole gearing thing.  It just seems like it wouldn't be that dramatic a change just changing out the rear to a 41.  But you've done it, so maybe you're right.  :)   Thanks for the chain advice!

Warner

Heres a drive ratio chart..Going to a 16 tooth in the front would be like going from a 41T to a 38T in the back.  I don't know, but you might want to double check if going to a 16T, that there will still be clearance between chain and case.  There could very well be, I just don't know.

http://www.motosport.com/blog/the-ultimate-dirt-bike-gearing-guide

Yeah, you've been my go-to guy for this whole gearing thing.  It just seems like it wouldn't be that dramatic a change just changing out the rear to a 41.  But you've done it, so maybe you're right.   :)   Thanks for the chain advice!

Warner

its a pretty big change trust me .. if anything i'd go 39 on the rear but its going to feel like your dragging a sack of bricks when you twist the throttle if you go too far ..

Heres a drive ratio chart..Going to a 16 tooth in the front would be like going from a 41T to a 38T in the back.  I don't know, but you might want to double check if going to a 16T, that there will still be clearance between chain and case.  There could very well be, I just don't know.

http://www.motosport.com/blog/the-ultimate-dirt-bike-gearing-guide

I think I'll give the 15/41 a try first.  I've looked at gearing charts until I'm blue in the face, but honestly until I've actually ridden the bike with different gearing, it's all just speculation.  And yes, to go to a 16t front, there is some "clearancing" involved, so I'll pass on that.  I just ordered new tires, now I just need to order a new chain, front sprocket, and the oil change kit.....

Warner

• Like 1

I'm currently running a 15t front and a 44t rear.  The rear sprocket looks like new.  I just bought and had shipped over here a new 520 112link o-ring chain.  The problem is the front sprocket.  It looks pretty worn, the teeth are getting thin.  I have a new 16t front sprocket on hand, but want to know first if I should just order a new 15t sprocket and wait another month before I can ride my bike?

Are there clearance issues?  How much would that affect my gearing to leave the 44t on the rear?

Itching to ride in Papua New Guinea,

Tom