Sign in to follow this  

Really poor MPG Xr650l

Hey guys. Just went on a all day trail ride. Did the math on the MPG and I got 28. That seems really low. I Dave's modded, desnorkeled, uni filter, and desmogged.

Any ideas what I can do to get the gas mileage up around at least 35?

Edited by they call me thumper

I am sure you know........ the type or riding and average speed and which gear your in and how much throttle and ........and ..........and....... makes all the difference in fuel consumption.

That being said......did you just start having or notice  more fuel consumption.

and the simple parts like is the air filter clean is the exhaust flowing correctly ..........

mine when stock got 40 mpg average.........after mods on the road its pretty much the same (if I am a good boy)......but I do have more "fun" off road after the mods .....and do use more gas but that because I give it more gas :thumbsup:

you really need to have a base line......... what was your MPG before the mods............after the mods...... and what is it now.

same with the jetting (plug color) before mods.... after mods....and now.

I have managed to get as low as 30mpg. Very aggressive highway riding. High speed, full throttle everywhere. I have the same mods as you.

It was agressive 1st and second gear riding. But still 28 seems real low. I got about 45 before mods and a rebuild. Stock compression 101mm wiseco

performance has a price not only in parts.  more power takes the economy out of economy. fun digs into your pockets.

the FCR MX I installed on mine made quite a diffrerence in fuel mileage.it actually got better on and off road........

About 50mpg average on 3 tests I did....about 50% on and off road..

B

the FCR MX I installed on mine made quite a diffrerence in fuel mileage.it actually got better on and off road........

About 50mpg average on 3 tests I did....about 50% on and off road..

B

Really? My dad has that carb and was getting about 35. Are you jetted and tuned especially for fuel economy or for power?

D0T-C0M jetting.........but my engine is far from stock...

Iwas getting about 45mpg with the CV carb..

our gallon is larger though,,,but if i saw mpg as low as yours i`d be lookin too..

Most guys on ADVrider found that running Daves Mods jetting was rich,,and went to 52/155 or 52/152 and found better fuel mileage and some found better power as they were rich..

B

Almost everyone jets WAAAAAAY too rich. The recipe in Dave's mods is too rich. I followed it when I had the stock carb and it was.... you guessed it, TOO RICH. Jetting the CV carb on the rich side makes more fuel available to make up for the inherent weaknesses of the CV carb, but it makes the bike run soft. Brian called it... get an FCR-MX, jet it right and you'll be loving life (doing wheelies) in 45-50 mpg club. A bike jetted just on the verge of being lean runs the best. The carb has to have an accelerator pump though to make it all work. Thus the FCR-MX.

IMG_20130507_184652_599_zpsca9bc429.jpg

D0T-C0M jetting.........but my engine is far from stock...

Iwas getting about 45mpg with the CV carb..

our gallon is larger though,,,but if i saw mpg as low as yours i`d be lookin too..

Most guys on ADVrider found that running Daves Mods jetting was rich,,and went to 52/155 or 52/152 and found better fuel mileage and some found better power as they were rich..

B

Hey... don't start that "My gallon's bigger than yours" Make me come up there and compare gallons.  :p

Hey... don't start that "My gallon's bigger than yours" Make me come up there and compare gallons.  :p

but it is,,everything is bigger here though :devil:

B

• Like 1

but it is,,everything is bigger here though :devil:

B

is that a beer gallon with beer glasses on?

I 'm lucky to get 20 mpg off road. That's a canadian gallan...4.54 litres

that`s because you have it geared so freekin low it`s almost at redline going 10mph....low gearing=bad gas mileage in your case...

B