Sign in to follow this  

DR-Z400s which tires are you running for 95% street?

I'm going to be replacing the almost 15 year old Trail Wings on my 2001 DRZ400s this winter.  I ride pretty much exclusively on the street.  At some point I may venture off onto some gravel or grass, but I don't expect anything too severe off road in my future.  What kind of tires do you guys prefer on a mostly street ridden DRZ400s?

Thanks in advance,

Warner

If you don't care about grip- Shinko 705. If you do- Avon Distanzias.

Or 17" wheels and some street rubbers if the DRZ is gonna be mostly street!

• Like 1

i 'prefer' d606's but they wont wear as long as trail wings .. if i had alittle more disposable income and a pet monkey that was trained to change tires i'd keep the 606's on it though lol ...

I went ahead and ordered the Shinko 705's.  Lots of good things said about these, and they are reasonably priced.  We'll see......

Warner

Right now I spend 95% street but thinking about picking up an "SM" in the near future for street riding and using the "S" mainly for dirt, however I still bought Kenda 270 and Scorpion XC in the meantime.

103.jpg

I went ahead and ordered the Shinko 705's. Lots of good things said about these, and they are reasonably priced. We'll see......

Warner

Rutro George! Had those on 17" SM wheels and the were pretty hard rubber. No grip at all. The tires you had are probably the best tire for what you want to do. Trail wings are great on the street.
  • Like 1

i 'prefer' d606's but they wont wear as long as trail wings .. if i had alittle more disposable income and a pet monkey that was trained to change tires i'd keep the 606's on it though lol ...

My experience was the trail wing front was better on and off road than the Dunlop 606 that replaced it...
  • Like 2

My experience was the trail wing front was better on and off road than the Dunlop 606 that replaced it...

that may be true .. its the rear thats a problem, if youre on a fire road for instance bopping along at about 60 and theres a sharp curve over the rise ... 'just try to stay on top of it' if you know what i mean lol ...

Rutro George! Had those on 17" SM wheels and the were pretty hard rubber. No grip at all. The tires you had are probably the best tire for what you want to do. Trail wings are great on the street.

Yeah, I've heard good and bad about tge 705's, but mostly good. I'm going to give them a try. I'm not a real agressive rider and they should be fine on the street, and a little better off road than the trailwings.

Warner

I threw a set of Shinko 700s on my new to me bike...they stick pretty damn good on pavement I think, but I'm about 1/3 worn in 500 miles of riding like an &%$#@!. My buddy has an XR650 with the 700s and a DRZ with 705s, he feels the 705s are as good off road as the 700s, with much better street manners and of course better wear. We're mostly not trying to die and ride like old people, so take my review with a grain of salt

I threw a set of Shinko 700s on my new to me bike...they stick pretty damn good on pavement I think, but I'm about 1/3 worn in 500 miles of riding like an &%$#@!. My buddy has an XR650 with the 700s and a DRZ with 705s, he feels the 705s are as good off road as the 700s, with much better street manners and of course better wear. We're mostly not trying to die and ride like old people, so take my review with a grain of salt

Your last sentence describes me perfectly. If the 705's impressed you guys, I'm sure I'll be impressed, too. :)