Sign in to follow this  

Lithium battery jump starter

I just spoke to KTM regarding the fact that the EXC won't run the FI wit a dead battery.   They said they're looking into a solution.   He recommended carrying a lithium battery booster until the problem is resolved.   Anyone carrying one?    I'm looking for something small and light that is compatible with a a lithium moto battery.

Hey Fly,

My name is Scott from Antigravity Batteries. We are a recently new sponsor on ThumperTalk, and the pocket sized jump starter you spoke of is our specialty... our MICRO-START product line is our mini jump starter product. In July our XP-10 Model was rated #1 jump starter in Consumer Reports Magazine compared to 12 others. And our XP-5 (the size of a cell phone) was rated as 5 Stars in Motocross Action Magazine earlier in the year. MXA rarely give 5 stars to any product actually....

Anyway, it is absolutely correct that new EFI and ECUs won't even function without the minimum voltage there.... even if you are bump starting them. Even the modern UTV and ATV can't be bump started because of the CVT type transmission. Though we make 4 different models we have a model the size of a Samsung Galaxy that will not only start you bike about 30 times off one charge but will also charge your USB devices like your cell phone or tablet, gps or Go Pro Camera... And as I said... all in the size of a Smart Phone! This XP-5 unit will also easily jump start up to 4.0 liter V6 motors about 15 times in a row too. You can check them out here.

www.themicrostart.com

http://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/micro-start-xp-5/

If you have any questions about these products or lithium ion batteries in general feel free to ask.

Regards,

Scott-

Antigravity Batteries

Hello Scott:

I have been wondering why auto manufactures are not using lithium ion starting batteries in normal automobiles these days?

Lead acid batteries are not only extremely heavy but have toxic lead and acid in them.

Manufacturers are frantically looking for ways to lighten there products for more fuel economy and lead ammo will be banned in California in 2019. Acid leaks out on serious impacts and destroys copper, steel and aluminum.

It can't be only because of the increased cost of lithium batteries can it?

What gives?

That is a great thread.  I'm waiting for him to start selling those.  Way cheaper than those backup batteries.

I have been wondering why auto manufactures are not using lithium ion starting batteries in normal automobiles these days?

I don't really know, but I'm guessing it's either cost, or the fact that they catch fire.  They probably would not catch fire in day-to-day use, but I've been to many vehicle accidents where batteries suffered damage.  Especially in vehicles where the battery is located closer to the front.  Nothing to back this up, but it is my best guess.

• Like 1

Lithium batteries are excellent for some things, but the wrong solution for other things. The same is true of lead acid, and every other battery chemistry. They all have their place, and none are best in every situation. This guy sums it up really nicely in regards to lead acid:

I just spoke to KTM regarding the fact that the EXC won't run the FI wit a dead battery.   They said they're looking into a solution.   He recommended carrying a lithium battery booster until the problem is resolved.   Anyone carrying one?    I'm looking for something small and light that is compatible with a a lithium moto battery.

I have had this a while and I carry it when I travel and have used it

antigravity-batteries-xp1-microstart-pow

I have had this a while and I carry it when I travel and have used it

antigravity-batteries-xp1-microstart-pow

I take this kit, is just to jump start the bike, you cant leave it on and ride down the road?    which would be needed with a completely dead battery

I take this kit, is just to jump start the bike, you cant leave it on and ride down the road?    which would be needed with a completely dead battery

But wouldn't the booster charge the battery if left on for a bit?