Sign in to follow this  

Need a little help ..

I'm a bit new to the forum and new to riding .. First bike here's the sellers description on Craigslist --For sale 2013 suzuki drz 400 great clean bike custom dg exhaust Pirelli dot approved tires bike is rust and dirt free ready to ride selling because don't have time anymore--- bike has 1800 miles on it and was going for 4500 but he's taking 3700, uploaded two pictures with it what do you guys think any thing I should look for when he brings the bike to me on Thursday ? It seems fairly new and clean to me ... Thanks btw I'm 6"2 245lbs thanks ...

I'm a bit new to the forum and new to riding .. First bike here's the sellers description on Craigslist --For sale 2013 suzuki drz 400 great clean bike custom dg exhaust Pirelli dot approved tires bike is rust and dirt free ready to ride selling because don't have time anymore--- bike has 1800 miles on it and was going for 4500 but he's taking 3700, uploaded two pictures with it what do you guys think any thing I should look for when he brings the bike to me on Thursday ? It seems fairly new and clean to me ... Thanks btw I'm 6"2 245lbs thanks ... I ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447179824.234481.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447179841.736989.jpg

Confirm actual mileage. Look for any changes to the wiring on the bike. Look for screw/bolt heads and nuts that may have been removed and reinstalled. They always seem to show some stripping or damage that can indicate if it was worked on. Just talk with the guy and ask lots of questions. He will hem and haw at the areas he doesn't want to reveal or it may be just what it is. A lightly used bike. Ask about his maintenance routine and if it has been serviced by the dealer. Ask if it has been jetted for the new exhaust. Beyond that if it is in good shape offer $3500 cash. You will be doing some changes once you get it anyway. Like all of the LockTite fixes and farkling that you may desire. At your size and weight you most likelywill be upgrading the suspension to better suite. Have fun!

you'll probably be one of the few people that can almost flatfoot the drz lol .. i would just look for obvious signs of abuse or wrecks, it should look pretty good for that price .. the front of the motor and exhaust header will look almost new if its been well cared for and ridden easy .. if he's riding it to you thats a good sign ..

Check the oil to see how clean it is. Check underneath for leaks. ask if he's done any of the fixes that need to be done or if he's aware that they needed to be done to all the drz's. If he says no thats an indication as to how much research and love he has put into the bike.

Ok thanks guys sorry for getting back to you so late just received a new phone form Ausurion ! But I will check and yes he's a truck driver bringing it 2.5 hours to me from somewhere in Jersey , he seems to be really cool guy but with Craigslist you can never tell I will and I tried for 3500 but since he's bringing it , I don't mind doing the 3700.

legal stuff...........compare the title vin numbers with the vin numbers on the bike.

ask how long the aftermarket pipe has been on the bike............... and if the bike has been jetted for the pipe............. you will find all the DRZ mods here in Thumper Talk............read up .... get educated before your meeting

bike pics look good............ hope it works out your way

Ride On!

Thanks I will probably be meeting up with the guy on Thursday and I will be sure to ask these questions now and tell you guys what he says

This is what he said about the bike guys I asked him about the exhaust and jetting "Exhaust has been on bout 1 1/2 year the bike is jetted with jd jet kit and the air intake was increased"

that means he probrably did the "3x3" mod (opening the air box)..............this is a good thing (sounds like he was on target when doing the mods)

You can check how the bike is "tuned" (as for jetting) by taking out the spark plug and looking at it........... the color of the insulator and tip of the plug if "burning" in the zone should be brownish

("mine looks like a dead leaf type light brown") some look tan............... white/gray is lean..............dark brown (I mean dark) is on the rich side..............

spark-plug-read.jpg basic chart

ccs-376432-0-45841500-1382882162.jpg wide range chart (this chart shows a wide range of "ok")

Mitch, if you do get the bike and if does not already have one to give you................get a "factory service manual" (not the owners manual) it will tell you everything you need to know about service and repairs you might need for your machine.

Nice looking bike and welcome to TT.

Earth

that means he probrably did the "3x3" mod (opening the air box)..............this is a good thing (sounds like he was on target when doing the mods)

You can check how the bike is "tuned" (as for jetting) by taking out the spark plug and looking at it........... the color of the insulator and tip of the plug if "burning" in the zone should be brownish

("mine looks like a dead leaf type light brown") some look tan............... white/gray is lean..............dark brown (I mean dark) is on the rich side..............

spark-plug-read.jpg basic chart

ccs-376432-0-45841500-1382882162.jpg wide range chart (this chart shows a wide range of "ok")

Thats a great chart Earth, best chart i've seen in my 40 years of wrenching.

• Like 1

Thanks guys well he's coming soon I think tomorrow but hopefully Friday cause I have no class but it's a good bike I might have to miss class for lol best I've seen so far

Mitch, if you do get the bike and if does not already have one to give you................get a "factory service manual" (not the owners manual) it will tell you everything you need to know about service and repairs you might need for your machine.

Nice looking bike and welcome to TT.

Earth

thanks for the great chart

Ok guys I'll be meeting the guy tomorrow around 4 any advice before I make the best investment of my young adult life ? Lol