Sign in to follow this  

Bike would not shift to second?

Was out riding the bike today and I went to shift to second after a short ride and it would just go to neutral. Thought it might be rider error so I tried it again and it still wouldn't shift, after 3 tries it shifted and now works fine except every once in a while it does the same thing. What's wrong?

Edit: just checked and the clutch won't disengage the engine when In gear. please don't tell me this is catostrophic!!

Edited by Crf450r r r

Btw, the bike has a tusk clutch kit. Could it be the clutch causing the bike not to shift to second? Again it only does it about 1/3 of the time. The guy said the bike had been sitting for three months before we bought it, when we bought it it shifted fine? Maybe it's a notched clutch basket. I hope it's the clutch and not a tranny problem. Would be a good excuse to get a rekluse.

Edited by Crf450r r r

9-12 has a known weak trans with rounded dogs on the gears causing false nuetrals and poor shifting. A common upgrade is to swap the shift detent spring with the stiffer one out of a 450x.

Id start by ensuring the clutch cable is adjusted correctly and checking the basket and inner hub for notching.

If the bike is creeping forward in gear with the engine running then its normally the basket and/or hub.

Edited by nzgsr

Does it leap forward when you put it in gear?  Does it grab or when your letting it out jerk/stall?  With the clutch in and giving it gas does it creep forward....these are all signs of bad clutch plates/basket.

I never really seen it effect shifting from one gear to another though...so nzgsr might be on to something.

Well the basket is a lot easier to check!  I would order up a gasket and retainer washer and pull the basket off and check it out.  My 12 is just barely starting to notch.  Its working fine so I"m going to run it for a little since I just spent a shitload of dollars rebuilding it  :banghead:   

Could I take the clutch out and see if it works better then?

I don't think it is false nuetral because it will do it 3 to 5 times in a row until I put it in nuetral, roll it around a bit, then try again and it works correctly for a while. The arm makes the first click that you get when shifting to neutral, but never make the second click that means it's in 2nd

Edited by Crf450r r r

When the kick starter kick back arm broke off on our 450 that's how it started to act as the broken piece made its way around the clutch side getting caught under the shift ratchet at times. Pull that cover ASAP and look for damage, make sure that little kick back behind the kick start gears is still in one piece. On mine eventually it found its way up to a cross port in the case and fell right in the middle of the trans gear cluster. What a mess took out three gears, all the bearings.

Alright so the clutch problem we have narrowed down to the oil viscosity. But for the shift problem, there has got to be a little peice of something bouncing around in there. Going to tear the engine down this weekend. If anyone has any vids or articles regarding splitting the cases and disassembling till a problem is found please share as my shop book is still shipping. I'm thinking the rod that attaches to the shift lever might have a little peice jamming in there every once in a while, will have to figure out how to get to that and check all the gears.

Pm me ur email and i can send u a pdf of the workshop manual. Before u tear it down, id have a close look at the shift ratchet mechanism. Make sure the shift shaft isnt bent, make sure the pawls and springs are all installed the right way round and its clicking through properly.

If you do tear down the trans, id be looking for debris, worn dogs on the gears, bent shift forks or a damaged shift drum.

Edited by nzgsr

look at the kick starter kick back stop arm behind the kickstart gear. And the DIY MOT video was well worth the 27 bucks. I took my 06 all the way down and back up using this DIY video it was great. You cant share it but they e-mail the link to you to use as much as you want. Tons of tips and tricks, also how to inspect everything. The only thing no on agreed with was honing the cyl with silicon carbide ball hone which I did not do. I think it was just to try and clear the alum scuffing but anyway the transmission tear down is priceless. The piece that broke off was getting caught under the shift ratchet causing very similar issues. Then it made it to the gear side and broke hell out of it.

Edited by ramjetV8

My '09 used to hit neutral between all my gears, especially when riding in sand.  A worn basket will definitely cause the symptom you are having because as the fingers get notched the plates are not free to move and will still hang up causing the trans to have an "easier" time to just stop in neutral.  On mine the problem happened between all gears at one time or another which was part of the common issue withe the trannys in these bikes.  In regular dirt riding it was ok and would only do it every now and then.  I was going to do a full rebuild but the bike was tired overall and didn't think it was worth the time and money to throw it into the '09 so after being on CRF's since '05 I bought a KTM.

Alright so I removed the right crank case to check some things and the gearshift spindle had abnormal wear on it leading me to believe it is bent, sure enough after checking it, it was slightly bent. Almost not able to be seen without the aid of a strait edge. Think this is my problem? If it's not, the next thing to check is the shift drum for chips. Can I get to the shift drum from the clutch side of the bike? Or do I have to go into the gearbox?

You can get the shift ratchet and e ratchet tabs and springs off but to get the drum requires the case spilt. Someone here already said pull the ratchet apart inspect and be sure the little tabs are in right. Assuming it could have been out before I guess

You can get the shift ratchet and e ratchet tabs and springs off but to get the drum requires the case spilt. Someone here already said pull the ratchet apart inspect and be sure the little tabs are in right. Assuming it could have been out before I guess

I inspected those and took that stuff off. Going to replace the shift spindle and see if that works. If not, I guess I will have to split the cases.