Sign in to follow this  

what you can do on stock settings

Now just imagine that same guy riding with some Race Tech suspension, good tires and proper gearing for the woods ...    :smirk:

I saw this a long time ago and it is a great example of what this bike can do completely stock ....   :ride:

I was watching some videos  a buddy shot of me a few weeks back + just like in this video, it's crazy how you can literally see the weight of the bike + suspension struggling. I know how heavy it feels while I'm on it but actually seeing it bottoming + flubbing around on video was a bit of an eyeopener. No wonder I get pats on the back when I can kinda keep up with the mx bikes – especially on single track. The bike is definitely quite a bit of effort to manage (especially as your riding becomes a bit more aggressive) but it's the only bike I've ever owned so I don't know any different. But I DO know it's a tonne of freakin' fun. Stock... mods... whatever... just ride + have fun!!! I am seriously considering the suspension though – especially as my off-road skills slooooowly improve. I recently blew through 3 sets of fork seals in 3 weeks + I'm sure it was 50% soft suspension + 50% defective seals. Anyways, it's always awesome to see people having fun in the dirt on the 250L. Thanks for sharing.      

• Like 1

on the other hand this guy do not recommend this bike for anyone heavier and more advanced.

Look like bike bottomed up horribly in 0:58 minute.

don't know how much the guy weigh but it didn't look good.

On the other hand, on wr250r forum people say they're bottoming up this bike as well

although its suspension is supposedly be way better.

Edited by robson
  • Like 1

on the other hand this guy do not recommend this bike for anyone heavier and more advanced.

Look like bike bottomed up horribly in 0:58 minute.

don't know how much the guy weigh but it didn't look good.

On the other hand, on wr250r forum people say they're bottoming up this bike as well

although its suspension is supposedly be way better.

There is a lot of truth in this video but, a KTM or even the Husky's are not what I would call a "Dual Sport" they are plated dirt bikes. the guy in the video just bought the wrong bike for his intended purpose. 

Your true DS bikes will have soft suspension so they ride nice on the highway and will still perform off road  if not pushed to hard.

There is a lot of truth in this video but, a KTM or even the Husky's are not what I would call a "Dual Sport" they are plated dirt bikes. the guy in the video just bought the wrong bike for his intended purpose. 

Your true DS bikes will have soft suspension so they ride nice on the highway and will still perform off road  if not pushed to hard.

exactly, plus the ktm costs like 3 times more money..

BTW on the next his video the very first day he bought ktm 500 exc bike broke, fuel pump gave up LOL

KTM is great when you have service car following behind you....

• Like 1

exactly, plus the ktm costs like 3 times more money..

BTW on the next his video the very first day he bought ktm 500 exc bike broke, fuel pump gave up LOL

KTM is great when you have service car following behind you....

I have spent more money on my bike than I did buying it new ....  :doh:    But a lot of the stuff I did I would have done to any bike I bought. 

I have spent more money on my bike than I did buying it new ....  :doh:    But a lot of the stuff I did I would have done to any bike I bought. 

so it's better to buy cheap and then build on.

Never had ktm so don't know if  they require any mods right away after you get it.

so it's better to buy cheap and then build on.

Never had ktm so don't know if  they require any mods right away after you get it.

I believe it is best to build for your specific needs ....

I wanted to have an old man's dirt bike so to speak. Something that I can ride on the street and not have to tinker with it all the time but also be very capable off road and as safe as possible. I feel as tho I have done that and I love the bike I just need to get a pro graphics job done to make her pretty ...  :lol:

I believe it is best to build for your specific needs ....

I wanted to have an old man's dirt bike so to speak. Something that I can ride on the street and not have to tinker with it all the time but also be very capable off road and as safe as possible. I feel as tho I have done that and I love the bike I just need to get a pro graphics job done to make her pretty ...  :lol:

right, get ktm 6 days graphics and nobody will recognize it's old man dirt bike ;)

2015-KTM-300-EXC-Six-Days-Review.jpg

• Like 1

i aggree   with  most posts   on this      ...just ride   a  well sorted ktm   and  the crf   is just plain out of its depth          

ive  bought mine    with a trip in mind   and    jst a steady pace with luggage    and    trying to keep the suspension plush   and  the bike capable  of taking on  hard ground   ..cover distance     steady  ...a  steady overlander     not a enduro  bike   

the stock suspension   will      bimble along    and in some places  it will cope    ....picture yourself on a grassy meadow   with a river and  the spring flowers all in bloom    

now picure  the  hidden rock sticking  up under the grass  at 20mph  all wet and slimy       ....now picture yourself     flying through the air  as everything  kicks sidways     ..

i cant comment on the racetch set up yet  as ive not asked  the right questions   of it    but it will get a proper   full workout next week    

but   for  sure the stock suspension   is a   little ticking timebomb     that could blow you off   without a warning  on the wrong    track   on low speed undulations   it can  buck its way over   for sure   but any  high speed hits  on wet rocks    and   it just plain   sucks..add  25kgms of luggage   and    i wouldnt like to  think     

i do have   a bit of a rachorse in the stable     i confess     with    fantastic  off road suspension    

im not expecting   it to be near that    espcially at speed      

..but  i really think  the crf  will be a very good   duel sporter  ..low maintanance   and   low service intervals   ..ive no intention of thrashing it anywhere     if i look after it  im thinking it will look after me      

but  honestly  if  you ride like that   on the rocky trails  of the uk   on the crf   stock suspension       you heading for  a broken wrist and atrip to the dentist    

im hoping   it will work out   for me       ..with the supension tank    and other stuff   ive about   1000  quid in her   1500  dollers on top       what im after is a modern day xr250  

it is a pity they   fitted it with that crap suspension   ...there is such a lot  to like      

heres a video clip    of a freind of mine  last year     ...watch the back end     bouncing like a puppy dogs tail         and the watch the drz    the lack of rebound control is   obviuse  and that wont help the front either   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDxZQ-DGiIM

Edited by milkyhead

now picure  the  hidden rock sticking  up under the grass  at 20mph  all wet and slimy       ....now picture yourself     flying through the air  as everything  kicks sidways     ..

oh, come on...show me a bike hitting a sticking wet rock at speed and not having problems. Get real, it has more to do with proper tyres then with suspension.

oh, come on...show me a bike hitting a sticking wet rock at speed and not having problems. Get real, it has more to do with proper tyres then with suspension.

im sorry   i   cant aggree          im afraid    the crf was fitted with   proper off road tyres    and i took it to youkshire on a trial run   about a month  ago      on  some lanes it was    all over the place     rocks    stepping out and deflecting  all over the place ..i know the lanes well    and   i have to say   the crf  suspension   was    totally naff   ...it was a lot worse than i initially  thought          

it was cystal clear  that for my kind of riding      that  the suspension had to be done or the bike had to go    ...  i wouldnt ride the bike   again on the lanes   until the supension was sorted     ..it was just like russion roullete    

the bottom pic looks dead easy    ...but  on that single track  there are     dozens  on sharp edged rocks sticing out of the grass 6 8 10 inches  high       ..ive ridden that lane     a hundred times  and normally its a fairly easy ride    ....   the crf was   kicking out  front and back off the wet rocks     trying to tip me down the bank    ..it just cant take the sudden hits   ..it sags bad  and blows through the  limited stroke   to quick  then the verticle movment just  goes sidways   ..it real bad   ..  ...im not   knocking the bike   but   i cant  defend the suspension it is some of the worse  probably the worse    ive ever    ridden   ...  sorry      

leak%2052_zpshsd3skcb.pngleak%2051_zpshf8yu5m6.png    

Edited by milkyhead
  • Like 1

A properly suspended bike set up for a specific rider is simply amazing no matter what you weigh ...  :thumbsup:   It took me years to understand this ....  :facepalm:

from now on no matter what make or model wether it be a street bike or dirt .... my first mod will be suspension ...  :prof:

I rode my buddies 2015 KTM500 and that bike is amazing..plenty of power, suspension and will motor everywhere just about. He spent over $11000 for the bike and still had to put a few more bucks to get the suspension right for him. It is not an daily driver to work. Funny thing was that when we switch bike out in the desert he said he absolutely love ride the LRP. Suspension we almost always never match the individual rider. And let's not talk about maintenance and parts avail. Hands down the Honda is less likely to break and if it did, what , 2-3 days and you have new parts. LRP has proven to be great at eating mileage 30-50 thousand miles before engine might give up.. Let's see it the Katoom can do that. Oh did I mention cost of the parts?...get the bike for your needs and your type of riding, there is no wrong bike

• Like 2

That's my buddy, ryan – I ride with him. Those are the trails here in niagara. He smokes on that thing – everything's stock except for a skid pate + handlebars. I try to keep up with him but he flies. I've mentioned him before on this forum – there's nothing he can't do on that bike + it always impresses the hell out of me. He does even gnarlier jumps – he's got a youtube channel somewhere showing his chops. Small world.

• Like 2