Sign in to follow this  

Radiator Cooling

I have a 2014 450 SX-F that I am changing over to run single track/trail riding.  Last ride I experienced a little boil over.  I was looking at the Trail Tech digital radiator cooler kit and emailed them regarding fitment for my bike.  They said I would need to change to the XC-F gas tank and upgrade the stator in order for their kit to fit on the bike.  I'm going to order an Acerbis 3.2 gal tank, which I hope will work as it also fits the XC-F.

I need a little guidance on a stator.  I also want to add the Trail Tech X2 headlight.

The Acerbis tank will work with the fan.

Easiest way to upgrade the power production is to use the Trail Tech HO stator.  However, note that this only gets you 70 extra watts of power.  The X2 (in HID) uses more power than this with both lights on, and when you add in the fan, you will be using a LOT more wattage than you can produce.  So you may want to think about how you will manage the power draw accordingly, in regards to running the lights and/or manually operating the fan instead of letting it turn on automatically.  I don't know what you are looking at for how you will use the light (just to be seen on the trail, or actually see in the dark) so I can't give you any concrete opinions on what the power consumption would be.

The more expensive way is to swap over the stator/flywheel/cover/etc... from a 450/500 XC-W.  The large increase in mass on the end of the crank will definitely change the way in which the engine will behave.  However, with 200W of power, you will never have to worry about getting a jump start out in the middle of nowhere.  Unless you leave the lights on.

I don't have to power a fuel pump with my carbed bike, but after going through running out of power to run my lights/fan/handwarmers on my 505 on a regular basis switching over to the 200W stator setup from a new fuelie XC-W was well worth it to me.  That will obviously not be the case for everyone, or even the majority.

Just saw that Ricky Stator makes a 90w stator for my bike. Is that an option? Thanks for the feedback.

If they make then it is an option.  Still not enough power to run the fan and both lights on the X2 (if HID) at the same time (for me), however I know that there are many out there who will disagree with my opinion on the matter.