Sign in to follow this  

Good gravel?

Looking for a good 90/10 dual sport tire?

Ive always used to use the old trusty Dunlap d606 with decent luck.

Do you guys know of any newer tires that might be a good choice?

Was thinking about trying the motoz tractionator desert h/t

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

How did the stock Michelin's work for you? I've had great luck with them, but I don't take them on the street.

Don't have the bike yet i'm anticipating they won't last long tho on the gravel

Ok, I'm jaded but have been on MotoZ tires for 3 sets now,

The desert H/T are great tires and if you're on hard stuff they'd be great or a  I/T front and a H/T rear,

if you keep the speed under 45-55mph on the road and softer terrain I'd use their I/T's I love the 120 on the rear!! Mud, rocks, 60 foot long single track puddles, it takes it all!

But IMHO the 606 is a true desert tire, I've gone through a few sets of them a few years ago, for me, too hard, they spun up on me too much too often, sidewall too stiff, they hook, just not as well as others. 

Edited by MarkBevans

I've been having great luck with the Karoo 3. Took my bike out couple weeks ago and they did great in mud and climbed a few big hills.

But IMHO the 606 is a true desert tire, I've gone through a few sets of them a few years ago, for me, too hard, they spun up on me too much too often, sidewall too stiff, they hook, just not as well as others. 

^ that ^

Hate the 606. No good for any kind of hills or sand.

Michelin AC-10

Kenda K760

Brigestone Gritty

Edited by KRANNIE
  • Like 1

OK I'll weigh in on this. Best bang for the buck and great wear are the Kenda Big Block K784 . They are long wearing on the pavement and provide plenty of traction in the dirt, rocks, and sand. The drawback is you have to air them way down for good traction. I run UHD tubes and 8psi front/6psi rear for hardcore off road.

For long miles on the pavement and easy offroad 12psi front/10psi rear. I did over 300 miles in Death Valley with this setup. Great tire!! This is my "go to tire" when riding a lot of pavement and want to hit some trails. Truly a 50/50 tire with great wear.

IMG_0343_zps97ab1e17.jpg

Of course you can still get stuck in the sand with these!! LOL

100_4415_zps42665951.jpg

For strictly dirt and just a DOT approved tire for connecting trails the Kenda 760 Trackmaster is the very best. I ran this combo a few years back with my Beta loaded down over 300lbs on some really nasty single track (Redonda Ridge IW17). Bad news is it wears really quick on the pavement.

file_zps31927ca0.jpg

Of course it's not a perfect tire. You can still fight the bike.

file_zps277019ed.jpg

The 606 is the meat and potatoes of a decent dual sport tire. Pretty decent wearing on the pavement and a great overall tire for everything.

100_2953.jpg

The shittiest tire of the bunch is the Kenda 761! PAVEMENT ONLY!!!!!!! If you use this tire on anything other than asphalt you will get hurt. I somehow managed to fight my way like a snake to Old Willies grave. Only to rag doll on my way back home in a deep sandwash. The 761 gives no warning whatsoever before losing the front end and tumbling down the trail.

100_4075_zpsf00ea43a.jpg

Here is the minimum to expect if you decide to use the 761 off pavement.  I got off lucky with a stretched hamstring. Not bad for for 40mph+ tumble.

100_4094_zpsa78b12a3.jpg

• Like 1

Here's what it looks like when you tear the tendon completely out of your hip..... and they aren't fixing it!  

20150919_100836.jpg

• Like 1

M43

Just get used to its on/off tendencies on the side of the tread.

I run the Motoz IT Tractionator on the 500 four stroke with great success without chunking out and I run the Motoz trials hybrid on my 300 and it has held up crazy;)ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447508620.401994.jpg

This pic is just breaking 600 miles of rocky single track at 6 lbs!! It just keeps going....as a side note this tire wore faster on thumpers....hope it helps(sorry about the pic, on the road...only one I had)

Edited by Whiskeythrottle24
  • Like 3

I am 100% sirt but blown away how versatile the OEM Michelins have been in 300 miles of Texas, mud, Colorado granite, all kinds of terrain. I think they will go another season for sure, plus I won a second set in a raffle! Tires HANDLED.

Oh mine are he factory 2015 350RR Race Edition tires.