Sign in to follow this  

GoPro Hero (Entry Level Model)

Hey guys,

So what's the deal with the base model GoPro Hero?

http://shop.gopro.com/APAC/cameras/hero/CHDHA-301-EU.html

I currently have one of the earliest models they made (I think it's a HeroHD), but it's starting to give me a few issues.

I like that the entry level model only costs $199 (Australian Dollars) brand new.
The problem I am having is that the clips that GoPro uses to advertise it are all shots from the top of the range model.

The only clips I can find that are shot with it are all slow moving subjects (making me think it might have problems getting clear shots at speed over bumps & jumps).

Does anyone on here have the entry level model?
Or more importantly, does anyone have any YouTube footage of it while riding?

Cheers...

I use one now and like it

in this video the first 43 seconds are are with the new hero, the last few clips are with the chinese astak cam.

I am filming in 720 with smoothing not 1080

Edited by Wild Alaskan

The new hero has the same specs as the old Hero3 Silver, which is what I have.

The only thing I wish mine had is 60fps 1080p. Like the new hero, mine is only 30fps in 1080p.

What I don't care for about the new hero is the non removable battery. I feel like that is a must. Especially since battery life is not that good to begin with on these guys.

I read battery life should be about 2.5 hours. I guess it's a good way to push you to spend a little more because anyone who has ever owned one knows that 2 hours flies by quickly. I think this has 60fps @ 720 setting? Not sure. I like the super view at 720 (but can't find a clip of of the base model doing it).

Cool footage wild Alaskan, that's pretty well what I was looking for. Looks like it does well over the wood sections, etc.

My son was going to buy one of these. I think he was just looking at price. I talked him out of it. You're better off saving your money and buying a better model the first time. Instead of realizing later on that this "entry" level model isn't working out like you want, not meeting your needs.

He ended up with a Hero 4 silver and he's glad he opted to spend a little more.

Edited by Trailryder42

My buddies hero 4. Or is it 5? Is garbage 600$ camera and the battery lasts like 45 mins. It's pointless to even wear it. Not impressed. My hero 1 with the battery backpack lasts 5 hours

We bought the entry level one last year from RMATV for $140. We have used it quite a bit while riding and have had zero problems and the quality of the vids is just fine. A buddy of mine has one that he has used for years for riding and surfing as well....again...not one issue.

I've heard the battery life on the silver/black edition is less (something to do with it running 1080p/60fps maybe, cant remember).

I've just seen for $100 more you can get the entry level with wifi which would be cool to take snapshots & get the perfect angle.