Sign in to follow this  

Kx250f vs 125 two strokes hare scrambles

So I am a intermediate rider I am 15 years old 5'7 and weigh 115. I currently ride trails fairly aggressively with a group of friends and next year I plan to start racing hare scrambles. I currently ride a 2011 kx250f i quite enjoy this bike but was wondering if I could become a more competitive rider on a 125 two stroke such as a kx125, yz125, cr125. I know genneraly people say 125s are a handful in tight one track but I'm not afraid to put the effort and time in to become good at riding one. Mainly I was considering these bikes because they are about 35 pounds lighter wich I feel could be great since I'm no huge guy. And less expensive maintenence is a real plus. I was wondering on your guys thoughts. Thanks

I just picked up a 125. I raced it last week out in the desert. I could ride it faster longer than my 450. There were some areas where the 450 would have been better but overall I dont think I was at a disadvantage. I am 6'4 225 without gear so if it would haul my but around I think you would be ok.

Yes! Get a 125 or maybe even look into 150s and maybe a 200. If I was riding and I knew I could possibly have problems that would cost thousands of dollars, I would have a lot less fun.

I have zero experience with any of the bikes I listed but from what I've read: yz125 has most low end, 16 150sx hits super hard, and don't know much about the 200. Good luck

I have heard the 150 and 200 are good but only ktm makes them and my family would disown me if I ever bought one so they are out of the question. Also do you guys have experience with these bikes in technical terrain and on large hill climbs

I have heard the 150 and 200 are good but only ktm makes them and my family would disown me if I ever bought one so they are out of the question. Also do you guys have experience with these bikes in technical terrain and on large hill climbs

I never understand brand haters. Good luck with a bike that doesn't suit your needs like the KTM does.

• Like 2

I never understand brand haters. Good luck with a bike that doesn't suit your needs like the KTM does.

that's why I posted this here so people could tell me if I would be making a good decision getting a new bike seems like I might just stick with what I have if ktm is the only brand the could give me a better suited bike for my needs

125 2 strokes aren't much fun on technical uphill single track. Clutch abuse. You can gear them to work in that stuff but then they top out at roughly walking pace. Stick with the 250.

Ktm is the only brand that still makes off-road 2 strokes other than 250cc...

Guessing you've never heard of BETA, Sherco, Gas-Gas...

• Like 2

Guessing you've never heard of BETA, Sherco, Gas-Gas...

My bad. Forgot about those. Very seldom do I see them for sale used so I hadn't even thought about it. Good bikes from what I hear but they aren't as common as ktms, at least not where I live

That statement is not correct. Yamaha still makes a YZ 125

Since when is a yz125 an off-road bike. It's a motocross bike with motocross gearing/close ratio gearbox, 19" rear wheel, etc

They can be made into woods bikes but not without some mods.

In my statement I meant off-road bikes from the factory not converted mx bikes

• Like 1

My bad. Forgot about those. Very seldom do I see them for sale used so I hadn't even thought about it. Good bikes from what I hear but they aren't as common as ktms, at least not where I live

The only "exotic" bike I've ever seen by me is a gas gas last year. Saw a few betas when I went out west. I guess these darn Pennsylvanians are 5 years behind the rest :ride:

125 2 strokes aren't much fun on technical uphill single track. Clutch abuse. You can gear them to work in that stuff but then they top out at roughly walking pace. Stick with the 250.

That's a slight contridiction Isn't it? How's abusing a clutch not fun  :lol: .

They (tight uphill ST's) can be a challenge but that's only more fun as well.

• Like 1

Excuse my mates   :lame:  comontary. I let him use my Go-Pro. First timer  :rolleyes: .

BTW. He wiped out over the same log last weekend  :lol: . "Haha, fall over". I'd never ridden the track, had no clue what was on the other side. He set me up LOL.

Was a hot day. 1st for the yr. Went from high teens to 34. My tunning was rich  :facepalm: . Hence the smoke.

BTW. It's an example of what a 144 with a heavy rider can do in tight tech ST. Not an example of how to ride a 144  :lol: . Shouldn't even be showing this. It was set to "Private"  :lol: .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6th3iwl1goQ

1st mistake was taking my goggles off   :facepalm: .

"Can ride faster for longer". You bet.

3hrs in. I was having trouble keeping up in the 1st hr. Flat tires with Tu-Bliss. They weren't supposed to be flat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD0yOGoDgdQ

Edited by AddictedToBling

Since when is a yz125 an off-road bike. It's a motocross bike with motocross gearing/close ratio gearbox, 19" rear wheel, etc

They can be made into woods bikes but not without some mods.

In my statement I meant off-road bikes from the factory not converted mx bikes

I ride one all the time in the woods. How is what you are describing different than the KTM 125.

Btw, MANY others do. Riddle me this, what do you need to do to one to ride it in the woods? Other than a skid plate some bark busters and bigger tank......it does not need a thing...other than someone that knows how to ride.