Sign in to follow this  

looking at a used CRF20l tomorrow!

Hey all!

I've been wanting this bike ever since when I first found out about it earlier at the beginning of this year... I almost financed a new one a little while back, and have been searching for a used one for several months.

I found one. It's a 2013 model with 1900miles. It is stock other than a 13t sprocket. Seller says it is in next to new condition, except for a small scratch approximately the size of a quarter on the plastic near the exhaust. He told me thats from when it fell, after his little brother accidentally knocked it over when it was parked. I was able to talk him down to $3500 from his initial asking price of 4k.

How's that sound? Good price right? Anything I should pay special attention to when I go to look it over tomorrow?

I'm excited to see it! I think this is the.perfect DS for me.

I also ride a sportster and a VFR. Been on bikes since 2002. Never really have gotten into dirt though. Although, I've always wanted a DS...

Tks

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry a bit about the plastic scratch, as you will be putting a lot more on there :ride:

Usual things really, is ALL the paperwork in order, service history - at 1900 miles it should have had at least 1 oil change by now, does the seller 'seem' genuine, why's he selling it.   You have other bikes, go off your gut feeling.  You'll come back off your test ride with a smile on your face, so try to to contain your enthusiasm :lol:  you'll feel the head wobbles about a bit, but don't worry it's just the knobblies and you'll soon get used to that.

With just the 13t sprocket on, there is sooooo much more bike to uncover, but a brilliant place to start.

Good luck and welcome along :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Something came up and I couldn't go to look at the bike today. It's located approximately 2 /2 hours from where I live, so not able to just run out to pick it up without a good 5 hour window... Bummed, because I was definitely planning to get this one! Work will keep me from going to check it out until at least another 4-5 days from now too. Hopefully it'll still be available?

I am astutely aware of what this bike is all about, and I need to get one! The only other bike I have been considering for a DS has been the XR400R converted for dual sport riding. Although, this option doesn't seem like near as good of a DS as the newer CRF250L. I've just always really wanted one of those XR's too! As soon as I first laid eyes on this 250, I really knew that I would eventually have to have it. In my mind, It's actually perfect! Good price. Good that it's a Honda. Responds nicely to modifications & upgrades (as has been said before: it is a blank canvas of sorts--still very nice too though, in completely stock form). etc etc.... Everything that most, if not all of you already know about this bike.

I will mod the heck out of mine with most of all the usual mods done to my taste.

PERFORMANCE MODIFICATIONS:

Full FMF exhaust

Clutch plates & springs

Airbox mods

Better tires

OTHER:

Corbin or Seat Concepts saddle

Folding gear shift pedal

Pillow Top grips

Smaller sportier front fender

Storage rack

Bars

A smaller lighter battery (I like these new batteries a lot)

Eventually, I'll put RaceTech suspension on.. but not right off the bat. As I'm at most 155lbs including all of my gear on a good day. I think the stock suspension will work fine for me at first. I'll just "want" to upgrade to RaceTech to know how much better it can truly be, some day...

Thats my plan! Going to happen someday soon I hope... I'll be sure to come back here to post all about it when it does happen, and post it up as I upgrade it ( I think I'll do most all of these modifications at one time too, to really make a more dramatic transformation for me! I won't spend much time in stock form...

Plus the EJK tuner.

Forgot to mention it. I definitely need to get that one with the airbox/exhaust plans.

I WISH I HAD IT IN MY GARAGR RIGHT NOW, but no not yet... Soon, very soon! Hope this seller doesn't find another buyer before I can get to it.

I was a novice when I bought my first bike new - CRF250L for comfort and it's pretty good after 2,000 Km's but; following a clutch issue (slipping in all) and jumping out of second, looked up the maintenance manual to be surprised - when getting hot and not changing the oil @ 1,000Km's (not informed the Thai thing) following the oil change everything is fine again. I'm 6'5" and 110-115 Kg's and it's very comfortable and no issues again. The clutch and gearbox I believe are it's weakest link. DO NOT TAKE IT TO HONDA FOR SERVICES: Take it to someone that actually cares in Thailand. I requested oil and filter; was consequently told; they didn't have them in stock, and the second time it has 2 oil filters? REALLY! There is always something in this country and nothing is easy AFM $$. It's a good unit, nothing off road yet.

There is no way that somebody else other than me will be working on my bike(s)! Not if I can help it. Unless it's work being done under warrenty, or maybe a recall.. I will be the one doing the wrenching. I am completely capable of reading and following the instructions set forth in service manuals. I also have a very good assortment of tools. Doing the maintinance & installing modifications is rather satisfying work to me!  

If somewhat too big or complicated of a job for me to do comes up, I have a good buddy who is an awesome mechanic, and he owns his own independent shop. I would absolutely trust him to do any type of work or repair to any of my vehicles. Not so much the so called mechanic(s) working back in the service areas of most dealers! I had some recall work performed at a Honda dealer once for a weak subframe. After I picked up my bike when they were finished, there was a small dent on the gas tank that absolutely was not there on the day I dropped it off at the shop.  

I would not trust any of the mechanics at these dealers to do the work corrrectly. When I work on my vehicles, the bolts are torqued to specs & proper procedures are followed...

I helped my buddy completely rip down & restore a 1978 Superglide last year. I've seen him take his truck, which was built in the late 1950's from a non-running POS, and turn it into a daily driver that makes most enthusiasts turn their heads in awwh at the site and sound of it as it goes rumbling on by them down the street.  

It is awesome to watch and see what a good mechanic can diagnose, fix, restore, etc... unfortunately, those types of mechanics are generally not working in the service departments at motorcycle dealerships sad to say.

I hear ya!

B)

• Like 1

There is no way that somebody else other than me will be working on my bike(s)! Not if I can help it. Unless it's work being done under warrenty, or maybe a recall.. I will be the one doing the wrenching. I am completely capable of reading and following the instructions set forth in service manuals. I also have a very good assortment of tools. Doing the maintinance & installing modifications is rather satisfying work to me!  

I happen to have a top level race mechanic at my disposal and he does not charge me too much ....   :thumbsup:    He works for TUF Racing and they just won the 2015 Arena Cross Championship ...  :ride:

anyway .............. Since you work on your own stuff you might like to have a service manual ...  :cheers:    http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/motorcycles/62KZZ00_CRF250L13_OM.pdf