Sign in to follow this  

Need full rebuild, what to do? (04 YZ250)

My cylinder is toast, and I have no idea how much time is on the crank or what type it is. I don't think it would be smart to rebuild the top not knowing, so I plan on rebuilding both the top and bottom over the winter.  I'm trying to figure out if I want to just rebuild the crank, or buy an aftermarket crank.

If I rebuild it what kit should I buy who should I send it to? and what experiences have you guys had with aftermarket cranks/ and pistons?  I don't know if my cylinder is bad enough to need a new one  and was wondering if I buy a new one would it be ok to use a aftermarket piston, or buy OEM? I would like to keep it under $800 if possible, what would you do?

this piston only has about 8 tanks on it.

1107151418a.jpg

1108152234a.jpg

1107151417b.jpg

1107151405a.jpg

Edited by yz250474
  • Like 1

Crank rebuild with new bearings and rod kit for 250 at any of the shops...EG Racing, RB Designs, Ken Occoner Racing, etc. Cylinder replate, new piston, and gasket kit $400ish. If you don't need a replate and bore take 220ish off that.

If you use local shops etc you should be able to get that work done for under 500.

You can buy a hot rods or wiseco crank kit for 250ish and piston gasket kit for a little over 200if you buy top shelf. But you would be better off rebuilding your oem crank imo.

No sence in not going for the full monte. OEM if you have the squish, wiseco on crank before hot rods, OEM on piston, vertex before wiseco on piston. OEM main bearings.

Langcourt does all my jug work, $250.00

Vertex piston $95.00

OEM main bearings $41.00 each

• Like 1

I just did my 125 top and bottom. Hot Rods crank kit includes all seals, bearings and gaskets for top and bottom. Wiseco piston and rings. All of it cost me around 350.00. New everything. Only think I needed that was not included was some Yamabond to seal the cases. Kit does not include a shift shaft seal.

Crank rebuild with new bearings and rod kit for 250 at any of the shops...EG Racing, RB Designs, Ken Occoner Racing, etc. Cylinder replate, new piston, and gasket kit $400ish. If you don't need a replate and bore take 220ish off that.

If you use local shops etc you should be able to get that work done for under 500.

You can buy a hot rods or wiseco crank kit for 250ish and piston gasket kit for a little over 200if you buy top shelf. But you would be better off rebuilding your oem crank imo.

I think im going to send Oconner my crank with a pro x rod kit, not sure yet.....

• Like 1