Sign in to follow this  

California * This* is a rear tire thread ! 120/100-18 soft-medium terrain

What happened to our Rear tire choices?

Specifically for soft to hard single track with smooth rocks.

I like to run a soft compound tire, regardless of tire life. Makes me a better rider (!)

I want a tire that actually turns, unlike the AT-81 and M5b.

I need a 120 cause I'm fat.

No more MX 52/32 in 18"

No more M403 in 18"

AT 81's suck

Maxxis DIT's suck

IRC M5b suck

Kenda Washougal-2's are special order only (never stocked locally)

Kenda Millville-2's are special order only ( " )  ( <<< pretty much my favorite )

Pirelli's don't work well with Tubliss, cause the carcass punctures too easily...

V-rubber ??

Moto-Z ?

What 'mainstream' brand offers this kind of tire anymore ?

the motoz tractionator is a nice tire too. never ran the rear on my bike, but it is a really nice looking tire.

That's funny , M5B sucks! It just means that they just don't know....

i would never use an m5b..

thats what i tell everyone  :p

• Like 2

krannie, i think for the stuff youve been riding lately, id run the michelin MS3 or the motoz tractionator.

another option to look at would be the sti 120 tire. i dont recall the name of it tho. i was checking it out at chapparral a few weeks ago. from the looks and feel of it, i think would be a good tire. i remember it being on the less expensive side as well.

just my 2 cents

krannie, i think for the stuff youve been riding lately, id run the michelin MS3 or the motoz tractionator.

another option to look at would be the sti 120 tire. i dont recall the name of it tho. i was checking it out at chapparral a few weeks ago. from the looks and feel of it, i think would be a good tire. i remember it being on the less expensive side as well.

just my 2 cents

I just saw an STI today. Looked ok. Very very stiff carcass.

Michlelin M3?  I see the M12 around, but have never seen an M3...just looked it up. I like the looks, with the 'scoop' knobs. 

a stiffer carcass would make it so you could run lower pressure, but you need a second rim lock to keep from spinning the tube.

id go with the mich or the motoz before the sti anyways. i run a motoz front and will never run anything else. my friend runs the rear, and has had success with it.

another friend runs the ms3 and he kills it on the kinda stuff youve been riding. id say for that, it works better than my set up. cant speak on longevity though.

Parker DT has a more rounded profile than most.  But, it's harder.

I hear the Shinko 520 is pretty much what you're after...

I ordered some Kenda Washougal-2 120/100-18's for the future, but for now I need something for this weekend.

I love the Washougal, just wish it lasted more than two rides. Stuck nice and turned great, rode out at JV and then the Rands. I was missing 8 knobs on the back and almost all the side knobs on the front were ripped. Went to the M404 on back and the Motoz up front..4 rides and still look good and they track well

I ordered some Kenda Washougal-2 120/100-18's for the future, but for now I need something for this weekend.

Washougal is great but won't last on the rear like others in the rocks.

You tried Pirelli Xtra X or the Bridgestone X30 yet ?  New Michelin is supposed to be good too...  haven't tried it.  

Dunlop MX32 is the first Dunlop I like and the fools won't let us have the 18s.  They've dropped the price on the AT81RCs and are forcing us to buy those if you want a Dunlop 18...  LAME

Edited by Chipped BEEF
  • Like 1

i use the 90/100 tractionator ST front

for the front id say take a look at the IT for the dwf stuff.

• Like 1

Washougal is great but won't last on the rear like others in the rocks.

You tried Pirelli Xtra X  YES; IT PUNCTURES TO EASILY or the Bridgestone X30 NO YET, CAN'T FIND ONE LOCALLY  yet ?  New Michelin is supposed to be good too..THAT'S NEXT

THE STARCROSS MS3 OR 5.......  haven't tried it.  

Dunlop MX32 is the first Dunlop I like and the fools won't let us have the 18s.  They've dropped the price on the AT81RCs and are forcing us to buy those if you want a Dunlop 18...  LAME