Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on KX85 to buy (yes i know this is a Yam group)

I have cash to buy my son a 2006 to 2012 KX85 and wanted opinions from the group on the similarity to a YZ85 in terms of get-up-and-go (my YZ85 is a rocket with wheels), parts swapping with a YZ85 possible, and/or persistent maintenance issues. 

What year models to stay away from? 

Is it a good buy for a fair price? 

Highly unscientific poll:  KX or YZ ?

Thanks Y'all

Kx has a power valve and much better lowend.

Consider a kx 100. I think it's easier to ride.

Having said that... a friends son has a ktm 85?80? I'm not to sure it does not have better off idle and smoother power than the kx100.

I'll be in this boat in a year or two.  I am leaning toward the kx over yz because of powervalve, availibility of reckluse clutch, and two stubborn to put him on a 4 stroke like a ttr. 

I found a Greg Lynx kx 100 super mini for my son. That was without a doubt the smoothest 2 stroke motor I have ever owned. That guy is a genius. Stroker crank and mills the head for the piston crown clearance. Stock piston size.

You can put small wheels on the 100 and then switch to big wheels. Saves you buying a bike. I know you can do this with an 85 but I think the 100 is better option.

Thanks everyone. I wasn't aware of the power valve. Now knowing that steered my decision to go with an 06 kx100 instead of the 85. Thanks toYZPaGuy over in the kawi 2 stroke forum.

I have a KX 100. It's a madman, stands straight up in 4th gear. Every bit as fast as my YZ125 (not speaking of torque, just once its in the powerband). Of course, I went up two teeth in back to aid in hill climbs. I'm in my late 40's and LOVE that little bike, since I'm only 5'3". The only reason I'm not on it now is my stepson just outgrew his KX65, so he has the 100 and I picked up the YZ for a great price from a local motorcycle mechanic.

I completely agree with earlier posts: the 100 is a much better choice than the 85. Bigger wheels mean a lot, but it's the same frame as the 85. I had an 85 first, but upped to the 100 after only a few months. Now I've had the 100 for 3 years. Great bike.

Just my worthless opinion.

Edited by Bron-Yr-Aur

I prefer bikes with power valves, so definitly a vote for the KX over the YZ here.

I've owned both the KX85 and KX100 and they are both great, but I also have an RM85, and I like that motor even better. It is smoother with a little better low end in my opinion.