Sign in to follow this  

Tires (again)

Time for new tires again. I feel like I have enough experience with tires to know what I like, I just need some help finding which tires do it best.

Front:

In the front I prefer wider tires (90/90-21). With larger knobs. I find lately that all tires are going to smaller knobs, and I prefer the feel of the larger ones. I also like a stiffer sidewall.

Rear:

Not too picky with the rear, I like wide again, intermediate to hard terrain with almost paddle shaped knobs. I prefer wear over grip on the rear to be perfectly honest.

Now, I don't need matching tires or anything, I just want tires to do what I described and can't seem to find it. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

The Kenda Trackmaster sounds like the rear you want. Other options are Sedona MX887IT and Shinko 523.

The front tires that you describe are dessert type tires. Big knobs, instead of sharp knobs.

• Like 1

The Kenda Trackmaster sounds like the rear you want. Other options are Sedona MX887IT and Shinko 523.

The front tires that you describe are dessert type tires. Big knobs, instead of sharp knobs.

I'll take a look at the tires you mentioned, I can get a trackmaster real easy...

Any recommendations for the front?

Thanks, you've been a huge help!

What type of soil/terrain?

mx32 doesn't have 90/90 your looking for, but it does have large knobs. Works really well in everything except slick hard pack, where you would want something with a tighter knob pattern

What type of soil/terrain?

mx32 doesn't have 90/90 your looking for, but it does have large knobs. Works really well in everything except slick hard pack, where you would want something with a tighter knob pattern

I ride a lot of sand and mud, however, last time I ran a soft terrain tire the knobs were too spaced out so I kept sliding on roots and hitting the ground. It looks like the mx52 also has large knobs? Is that the case?

EDIT: Also looking at the Michelin s12, anyone know if it's got large or small knobs?

Thanks!

Edited by LiamRM212

I'm not a huge fan of the trakmasters as a tire, but mine have metal studs in the knobs... :thinking:

Sounds like you're after a more dualsporty tire, rather than a dirt/offroad-only tire. 

I like the MT21 front/D606 rear combo I've been running.  Excellent wear (I get 2-3k out of the rear), and predictable on and off road.  DOT-approved too.

DSC_3774_-L.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of the trakmasters as a tire, but mine have metal studs in the knobs... :thinking:

Sounds like you're after a more dualsporty tire, rather than a dirt/offroad-only tire.

I like the MT21 front/D606 rear combo I've been running. Excellent wear (I get 2-3k out of the rear), and predictable on and off road. DOT-approved too.

DSC_3774_-L.jpg

Not specifically dual sport, just want it to wear well. Definitely don't want a dual sport front. I only ride dirt, mostly enduro.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with the track masters?

Thanks!

^^^ nothing really and for a dot tire they are good off-road Tread pattern in like the old Dunlop 952's I think. I've heard the rears are really good in the dirt. Likely be my next rear tire. There's reviews on TT of them I run a Sedona 880? Up front. It's a soft/ intermediate Has tall knobs , it is working real good in the wet nw right now with an UHD tube and 8 or 9 psi Rode over like a 100 small logs n branches n roots yesterday and it wasn't sliding over much of anything if at all.

• Like 1

Not specifically dual sport, just want it to wear well. Definitely don't want a dual sport front. I only ride dirt, mostly enduro.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with the rears. My son is running one for his winter Harescrambles. Clay, deep mud, basically nasty snit that takes hours to clean off the bike. He has better traction than a lot of people. I have one waiting to go on my bike for the same series.

We both run the Kenda Washougal front tire. Great all around tire, good cornering on all terrain. Short fall of this tire is the clay based mud (as well as the rear). But track, small to big loose rocks, loose dirt packed dirt, they seem to handle very well.....Oh and logs too.

• Like 1

Thanks!

The MT21/D606 are "90%-dirt, 10%-street" tires.  They're well suited for dirt riding.  I use them offroad regularly, and they perform well.

The trakmasters seem ... "floppy", I guess.  They squirm around a bit on the street, and felt loose in the dirt.  I don't think it's all from the studs either - think the tire compound and knob shape has a bit to do with it. 

It is nice to go from this:

FILE1342-M.jpg

to this:

DSC02508_-M.jpg

or even singletrack:

DSC00044big-M.jpg

with the same setup.  They'll do tracks pretty well too.

DSC_0370_-L.jpg

• Like 1

I ride a lot of sand and mud, however, last time I ran a soft terrain tire the knobs were too spaced out so I kept sliding on roots and hitting the ground. It looks like the mx52 also has large knobs? Is that the case?

EDIT: Also looking at the Michelin s12, anyone know if it's got large or small knobs?

Thanks!

I believe the MX52 front has slightly smaller knobs then the MX32 that are also more closely spaced. Not significantly smaller though. I ran the MX32 front in Flagstaff AZ and all around CO in the trees and it handled the roots fine.

I believe the MX52 front has slightly smaller knobs then the MX32 that are also more closely spaced. Not significantly smaller though. I ran the MX32 front in Flagstaff AZ and all around CO in the trees and it handled the roots fine.

Alright! Thanks! I'm gonna head over to the stealer tmr and see what they've got in stock.

Thanks everyone!

I got my tires from bike bandit. Those fronts were like 45-55$ and showed up a day later. They had a good tutorial for changing your tire. Got it on no prob if that's helpful info for ya. The dealers around me always just have tons of dunlops n bridge stones for 100 bucks it seems like. Wanted something different n cheaper. Had to go online

I got my tires from bike bandit. Those fronts were like 45-55$ and showed up a day later. They had a good tutorial for changing your tire. Got it on no prob if that's helpful info for ya. The dealers around me always just have tons of dunlops n bridge stones for 100 bucks it seems like. Wanted something different n cheaper. Had to go online

Bikebandit and alot of Motorcyclesuperstore tires come right out of Portland, so your lucky being in OR. The OP is in Canada....from what I understand ordering tires (or tyres) from the states sucks.

• Like 2

Bikebandit and alot of Motorcyclesuperstore tires come right out of Portland, so your lucky being in OR. The OP is in Canada....from what I understand ordering tires (or tyres) from the states sucks.

Especially when you in Ontario haha (tire tax aka tire stewardship fee) :lol:

My Kenda Parker DTs have relatively small knobs on the front.  Here they were brand new:

DSCF6879_zpszpcd5vhj.jpg

Shinko 520 or 500 for a rear. Big knobs wears very well. Cheap.

I compare the 500 to a 606 dunlop at half the price.