Sign in to follow this  

1981 XR250R voltage?

Hi,

I just got an 1981 XR250R and a 12v HONDA headlight assembly that fits from a newer year I guess late 80's or so. So I hooked it up and blew the bulb. I checked the output voltage and got 24v+ any ideas why its that High?

Thanks,

Scott

Edited by skerlock

From where did you take your measurement? Should be taken at the headlight connectors. Multimeter set on AC. Be sure you're reading it correctly. If still 24v, then the regulator is suspect and it needs to be checked. Do you have a shop manual for your model with those electrical specs? I have the specs and procedure for an '86 but don't know if they would be the same for yours.

Hi, Thanks for the advise. The light I hooked up came off a newer year and is 12v. The bike schematics are attached below. If I test at the bulb location its 24v plus depending on engine RPM. The book says test at DC i did and get 9v at idle and 13-14 at higher rpm, but its an alternator isnt it? I would think A/C is the right way to test when I do its at 24 and up to double at higher RPM. If you look at the schematics there is nothing between the alternator and the lighting system. So any thoughts? Electrical is clearly not my strong point. I know specs look like its supposed to be 6v but im guessing there's a conversion kit installed on this?

Thanks Scott

20151112_200202.jpg

20151112_201151.jpg

The drawing you showed doesn't have regulator in it but clearly you need one. Is there definitely nothing on the bike somewhere? If not then it should be simple enough to fit one. On dirt bikes with no electric starts is a simple device that dumps excessive voltage to the frame and keeps it 12v or there abouts.

Yes your correct. No voltage regulator. I put one on and all is good. Thanks for the guidance all.

Scott