Sign in to follow this  

Best Enduro / Hare Scramble tires?

It's always tough figuring out the "best" tire for enduros because of the varying conditions.  What works best in rocks sucks in mud and vice versa.  I look at the weather forecast and try to guess as best I can on what the general conditions will be (soft, intermediate, or hard).  IMHO, the safe bet is to run an intermediate unless you've been getting a decent amount of rain then go with softs.

• Like 2

I ran my first hare scramble a few months ago on practically new Dunlop mx32's in very rocky conditions and they got TORN up.  completely junked by the end of the race withalmost every side knob ripped off.  I just got the IRC VE35 front tire and a bridgestone intermediate rear.  the IRC is awesome! big knobs and thick ones on the sides so no more ripped side knobs.  Plus it lasts a Long time and handles good.  my buddies is over a year old and still looks new.  

I'd like to hear from someone that's tried the vee rubber tacky knobby, or the new kenda washshougal 2. Both are a duel compound knobby I believe.

Big knobs on front tire or small?  Question to ponder.  My Kenda Parker DT front tire has small knobs, it is great in sand, rock and hardpack, not so good in mud (its a desert tire :smirk: ).  The matching rear has huge knobs as well as side biters, good combo.  I don't race though, just ride fast in mostly high desert, lots of sand, rock and pinon pine and juniper trees.

Your best bet is to ask around at some of your local shops that cater to racers for your particular venue, try what comes up most often. Then at the races you will learn which tires the top amateur finishers are running and ask some questions, most will visit with you on the subject if you ask some specific questions. 

• Like 1