Sign in to follow this  

Backfire at steady throttle.

I have a 05 yz250f and I ride it on the county back roads a lot around my house and lately it has had small backfires and rough idle at steady throttle while going down the road. Is there any way to stop this and is it going to hurt my bike?

Well it starts first kick everytime! It's not really a rough idle it just kinda kicks in and out kinda like right before you go into the powerband on a 2t. I've heard a exhaust leak can make it do this?

It was a minor problem on that model as well other years. There never was a clear answer as what the cause was. Some thought it was the TPS sensor. Some thought it was jetting. 2 of mine did it and I just learned to accept how it sounded. Performance seemed very crisp even with the little popping backfire sound.

Search keyword TPS and prepare to read for a while.

It was a minor problem on that model as well other years. There never was a clear answer as what the cause was. Some thought it was the TPS sensor. Some thought it was jetting. 2 of mine did it and I just learned to accept how it sounded. Performance seemed very crisp even with the little popping backfire sound.

Search keyword TPS and prepare to read

for a while.

Well if it won't burn nothing I just won't worry about. I've drove it how it is for months now and I'm kinda getting used to it but I just thought I'd ask and see. Thanks!

My buddy had this problem so he had a full tuneup and he found problems in the carb so I'd check that

The stutter you describe under steady throttle setting and at light load is normal. They all do that on a road, steady throttle setting.

Yeah I kinda thought that cause my friend has a 06 yz250f and it does the same thing so I figured it was some what normal.