500 EXC, Harsh Engine Vibration

I'm considering selling the 2016 KTM 500 EXC I just bought. The bike is bad ass, but the intense engine vibration is more than I can handle. I had a frightening experience, developed white finger, dead finger, Raynaud's Phenomenon after riding for 1 hour. I never experienced this before...fingers started tingling, became numb, and one finger turned white with no sensation for 30 minutes after trying to revive it. I though I was going to lose the digit! The vibration coming up my spine from the seat is even worse, my teeth chatter very slightly. Standing on the pegs solves the seat problem until my toes feel like my hands.

Do I have a lemon? Am I too sensitive. This is some serious crap. How can anyone ride this thing for more than 15 minutes?

The vibration is very bad on these bikes. That's pretty normal. I think theyre just as bad or worse then my 02 yz250 smoker. If you get a stabilizer with the rubber mount kit and flex bar a lot of it goes away. But you don't have a lemon! lol 

If you ride on road alot i would get a less aggressive tire and balance them. A better seat wouldnt hurt either. When balancing tires i would go with a lighter bead lock will be less weight to counter.

Edited by J03lz

Wow, that sounds pretty weird. I've ridden my 16 500 exc for hours and haven't noticed any vibration really. It seems exactly the same as my old xr's and 2 strokes, which I never had any issues with either.

Maybe you were hanging on for dear life and grabbing the handlebars too hard.

Either way, I guess you better stay away from Harley's then.

• Like 1

The vibration is very bad on these bikes. That's pretty normal. I think theyre just as bad or worse then my 02 yz250 smoker. If you get a stabilizer with the rubber mount kit and flex bar a lot of it goes away. But you don't have a lemon! lol

Does a CRF450, or other similar dirt bikes have less engine vibration than the KTM 500EXC? Or do they all vibrate like this?

Forget about the tires, the engine dominates here. Are there any seats that isolate the rider, something night and day?

I don't really notice any serious vibration till well past 8,000 rpm(up near redline), then I can feel the 450 counterbalancer lacking on the 500.  Other than that I don't find any excessive motor vibration issues in the normal rpm range, atleast on mine. 

When I first bought the bike I wondered if I might need to mount rubber peg inserts for street riding, but really hasn't posed an issue. Now all my boots wearing holes in the peg areas has been an issue.

Edited by Spud786

If it's that bad you need to compare apples to apples and/or bring it back to the dealer for a look. You could have something out of whack... your symptoms are not indicative of unbalanced tires. The 500 does vibrate, but what you stated in your first post is not normal. There's either something wrong with the bike, something new wrong with you, or something wrong with how your riding. something ain't right.

• Like 1

Yeah I would have the dealer look at that bike, something seems off.  What bike did you ride before this?  I rode 2 strokes before my 500 (97 cr250 and 2007 yz250) and they vibrated quite a bit and i could always feel it in my arms but I feel nothing with my 500.

Edited by PTECH

Does a CRF450, or other similar dirt bikes have less engine vibration than the KTM 500EXC? Or do they all vibrate like this?

Forget about the tires, the engine dominates here. Are there any seats that isolate the rider, something night and day?

My buddy has a wr450 and it also vibrates quite a bit. You can try taking it to the dealer to see if everything is normal. But I'm not sure what you mean by a seat that isolates the rider. I have a seat concepts seat on mine and it helps a lot when sitting down.

Like others have said go ride another one if you can,  see how it compares.    Also go ride a beta 480rr/500rs, They are extremely smooth,  as close to no vibration as it gets!

Shops all out of 500EXCs. I rode a huskqvarna 450 and it was pretty smooth. I also rode a CR450X which had almost no vibration. I even tried 3 Harleys today, all very smooth compared.

The dealer preped my bike, so they must have felt this before I picked it up. If I can't get it fixed I'm screwed. It's only a few weeks old.

Edited by lzr1945

Shops all out of 500EXCs. I rode a huskqvarna 450 and it was pretty smooth. I also rode a CR450X which had almost no vibration. I even tried 3 Harleys today, all very smooth compared.

The dealer preped my bike, so they must have felt this before I picked it up. If I can't get it fixed I'm screwed. It's only a few weeks old.

Do you want a cheap cover up fix that will only mask the problem or do you want the truth and the more expensive correct fix?

I would take your tires to your local cycle gear, my local one balances for free. start there... I notice a good amount of vibration on my 501S and im sure its the tires but I ride so little on the road I don't care

Had my exc 09 530 about 6 months and had a yam yz 426 before, have to say i also have suffered numb hands from engine vibration on the ktm when pushing hard never got it from the yam, i have put it down too hanging on to tight! My suspension and sag was well out, and it was head shaking and loose as heĺl , have since got the suspension dialed 60%better and added BRP rubber handle bar mounts 10%better .

Still vibration there but doesn't hurt as im not clinging on for dear life .

• Like 1

Vibration that severe sounds like the engine mount bolts are loose- don't ask me how I know.

Edited by Burnrider

Is it possible to retrofit rubber isolation mounts between the engine and frame instead of bolting the engine directly against the frame, similar to cars? Has anyone seen a kit for this? The tabs on the frame would have to move out, be welded.

The newer Harley Soft Tails have mounts like this, they have no vibration.

Somethings not right i guess.

Mine has very little vibrations. It had some before i balanced the wheels, but nothing like you discribe.