Sign in to follow this  

XR250 Engine in XL Frame

Hello everyone,

I have just finalized to purchase this XL 250 89 that has been converted to XR having an RFVC engine.

I need to know which year engine is installed in it?  Engine number is visible in a attached pic.

Is it a dry sump engine that is installed in a wet sump chassis? I guess not because It got a separate oil cooler installed just like an XR on front of the frame.

Any negative impact i should look for before buying this?

Engine is in healthy condition that i have checked power is great and no unusual sound.

IMG_20150919_140354.jpg

20151023021609.jpg

Edited by angel82

Rear disc brake is good and it has passenger foot pegs, too.  It looks like a wet sump motor but need closeup photos to confirm.  External oil cooler is definitely needed on these motors.  The dry sump motor had larger stainless steel exhaust headers.  Adjust dampening knob on bottom of shock to #1 position.  Compression on reservoir to lightest (less) position for plush suspension.  Use .53 liters of lightweight fork oil in each fork.  ATF is too heavy.

Rear disc brake is good and it has passenger foot pegs, too.  It looks like a wet sump motor but need closeup photos to confirm.  External oil cooler is definitely needed on these motors.  The dry sump motor had larger stainless steel exhaust headers.  Adjust dampening knob on bottom of shock to #1 position.  Compression on reservoir to lightest (less) position for plush suspension.  Use .53 liters of lightweight fork oil in each fork.  ATF is too heavy.

The old Xr250s where good bikes,only weakness I know.If last onwer,never serviced rear shock.The aluminum shock body wares out.

Thanks for detailed reply and instructions both of you.

Here are the close up of the engine. 

So can you judge the engine year?

Is it any negative impact of having Dry sump engine in Wet sump chasis?

EngineCloseup.png

Edited by angel82

Well the frame is not Dry Sump it doesn't have a dip stick. Frame is from a Year 89  XL 250 and engine, suspension, tyres, breaks and everything is from XR250 That is fitted in this XL Frame.

Ahan right. .. well Seems like a complete XR engine. Side cover were polished and chromed.

XR Silencer bends are dual pipe? If i get the silencer bend chromed. Will it beer the heat or will fade away? or should i go for nickel plating??/

On my dirt bikes,chrome header/nickel/cad plated/stainless No matter looks bad in few years.So your frame is not wet slump.? So here is question.In your country,do you use bike for just getting around the city.Or ride it for fun off road? If so whats it like off road there.?

On my dirt bikes,chrome header/nickel/cad plated/stainless No matter looks bad in few years.So your frame is not wet slump.? So here is question.In your country,do you use bike for just getting around the city.Or ride it for fun off road? If so whats it like off road there.?

Frame can't contain oil so its Wet Sump.

Here is a detailed answer of your question.

Bikess second mode of domestic communication after cars. More than 95% of the bikes are small like 70-125 cc.

Only few people use bikes as hobby or tours. Most of them use 125 or 150 cc small bikes. Only few groups uses proper
dual sports / trails.  using it jungle or extreme trails isn't very common either.

Pakistan is rich with natural beauty. There are tracks of all kinds. 
Mountains are at north sides.
Some roads are plan
917a1c0303b8711c6c81f165ab256aec.jpg

some a difficult to ride

710714d1176108900-swat-kalam-valley-pict

one of the Most difficult offroad
03%20Dangerous%20Jeep%20Road%20Towards%2

1627054d1444847809-pir-chinasi-club-46-i

aqesz.jpg

Highest Long paved road like Karakoram Highway that connect Pakistan with China.
179755_349377808521246_1116969303_n.jpg

karakoram-highway-pakistan-kkh-silk-rout

Deserts are North West
fort-derawar-15.jpg

some crazy stuff
348461-Moterbikephotoexpress-1331413700-

and Beaches and coast are on West side.
image0532222.jpg

I live middle where land is mostly plan. Mountain area starts after 300 Km from here

I hope this detailed answer answer you good

If you wanna explore more following thread contains our last trip that includes on and off roading.

It sounds like it's easy to get stuff plated over there. 

Yes its not that difficult. This Header pipe will cost me 7 to 10$ for chrome plated.

Edited by angel82
  • Like 2

Thank you for pictures,nice country.

Welcome. Glad u like it...

.F69524090.jpg

Any negative effect of it?

• Like 1

Upon a detail re check and inspection we found that its engine is weak and giving smoke so i dumped that bike and got a DR250 in total original condition. Its 26k km driven. Here are the pics. Hope you like it.

IMG_6184.jpg

IMG_6185.jpg

IMG-20151209-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20151209-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20151209-WA0005.jpg

• Like 1