Sign in to follow this  

Valve springs?

Rebuilding a head, bike will never be raced or spend much time pranging off the rev limiter.

Have new wiseco stainless valves and a cylinder works big bore kit.

Question- Are the valve springs considered a must-replace item? I've never heard much about problems with float. Not trying to cheap out but don't want to replace them if it's pointless.

Cheers

Well, I ordered them anyways. APE springs are pretty cheap.

I would seriously love to hear from anyone who has ever had a valve spring fail on a DRZ, I've searched and can't find a single mention, online anyways. 

Funny, got an email reply from Wiseco today about valve lapping and seat cutting with coated valves. The valves are stainless with a nitride coating.

The reply says- "Ti valves don't get lapped. Steel valves require lapping"

Weird. I even mentioned the coating.

Well, I ordered them anyways. APE springs are pretty cheap.

I would seriously love to hear from anyone who has ever had a valve spring fail on a DRZ, I've searched and can't find a single mention, online anyways. 

Funny, got an email reply from Wiseco today about valve lapping and seat cutting with coated valves. The valves are stainless with a nitride coating.

The reply says- "Ti valves don't get lapped. Steel valves require lapping"

Weird. I even mentioned the coating.

What you mean like this one broke spring.jpg

Rebuilding a head, bike will never be raced or spend much time pranging off the rev limiter.

Have new wiseco stainless valves and a cylinder works big bore kit.

Question- Are the valve springs considered a must-replace item? I've never heard much about problems with float. Not trying to cheap out but don't want to replace them if it's pointless.

Cheers

How many miles on the springs?

Has not very much to do with miles.  Springs break some times new some times old.  Rare as you say.  Ever heard of a failure of the gear shift return spring?  Happened to me.

No idea. I have 2 heads with two sets of springs. Both off off early 2000's e models. I just ordered some ape springs anyways. Looking forward to getting this thing going!! Open airbox, big bore, JD kit, Bill's pipe.

My next question is compression... vertex piston with the kit is 11.3:1 compression. Lower than my stock E. Leave it or strip a layer off the base gasket??

Assuming you are looking for performance - run a single layer base gasket like the E did originally.

Has not very much to do with miles.  Springs break some times new some times old.

Exactly why I wouldn't replace 'middle aged' springs. ;)