Sign in to follow this  

I need exhaust help!

I bought a new slip on for my r1 which utilizes exhaust springs but the issue is that my akrapovic mid pipe is a 2 inch and the muffler is 2.5 inch. How do I connect them? I dried ordering a exhaust reducer pipe but it was the same exact size.  I tried expanding it but it expanded too much (had it done at a muffler shop). Is there any other way to make it work?

3TQChK.jpg[/url]
ky6Lxy.jpg[/url]
rTd5fO.jpg[/url]
qTWOC4.jpg[/url]
jqXNlK.jpg[/url]

dmjPJw.jpg[/url] 

This slip on was suppose to be used with the stock headers but I don't have them so I have to work with the akra setup instead. 

Ebay a set of stock headers, that or keep chasing your tail.

The bike is jetted and has an airbox mod for these headers so it would be silly to go with stock headers to get the sound  I want. I think I may just take it to a custom bike shop and see what they can do

It is big enough that you might be able to take it to pretty much any exhaust shop and they might have a cupler/ spacer that you could buy to make it fit, either that or any exhaust shop could just weld it on there and fill the gap with weld but you will never get it off again.

Forget regular 'corner store' exhaust shops that deal mostly with easy cut off / bolt-on work.

Find an exhaust shop that fabricates headers for race cars (stock-car, tuners, restorations etc.) those guys will be able to help find a solution.

These shop's main business front is often exhaust systems for large semi trucks and industrial equipment,

sometimes they don't advertise the custom 'racing' fabrication services available.

Word of mouth between racers/tuners keeps them busy enough as it is.

You can get generic adapters from car or truck parts suppliers. You could custom weld one but that gets expensive unless you do it yourself. Look for an exhaust pipe reducer 2.5 to 2, they are about 5-10$. for exhaust work I prefer constant tension or band claps, they are also about 5-10$. 

Actually It looks like you need a 2.25. Anyway go to a good parts store like Carquest or whoever you like  there and you can test fit a few different ones.