Sign in to follow this  

Weekend trip from the Chicago area....with street riding friend

A good friend of mine from work has a street bike, and we've been talking about doing a weekend trip next Spring.  We both live in the Chicago area, and are looking to do a weekend length trip somewhere.  We'd like to avoid slab highway as much as possible and take the more scenic routes.  Maybe head north up into Wisconsin or something....not sure.  Looking for suggestions.   

Thanks in advance,

Warner

A good friend of mine from work has a street bike, and we've been talking about doing a weekend trip next Spring.  We both live in the Chicago area, and are looking to do a weekend length trip somewhere.  We'd like to avoid slab highway as much as possible and take the more scenic routes.  Maybe head north up into Wisconsin or something....not sure.  Looking for suggestions.   

Thanks in advance,

Warner

check out advrider's regional sections. there are LOTS of gpx tracks to download for free, most of which are street rides, followed by dualsport, and occasionally a real-for-life offroad trail. you can use those gpx tracks in your smartphone or standalone gps. 

yes, your smartphone's gps will work without cellular or wifi coverage. locus and osmand are two very mature applications to do so. they will both route while offline, if you need to  change directions or whatever. 

:)

Head to Central Illinois not Wisconsin! Much better riding roads here ;) if you like straight as arrow pothole filled roads that is! I wish I lived closer to the boarder so I could ride up there, it's all so scenic and nice twistys compared to flat CI.