Sign in to follow this  

Biggest rear sprocket that fits 91-96 xr250l?

Does anyone have experience with BIG rear sprockets on these bikes?  I'm wondering how big you can go without the chain or sprocket chewing up the chainguard.  Yup, I have the stuff to lower the chain guide but hoping to leave the chainguard alone.  Does 52t work?

No, you have to drop the chain guide even with a 44.  

I run a 46t and change to 15,14,13, or 12 on front with custom case guard.  Don't run a 12 very far.  It's an emergency sprocket.

I try once a 48 and had to modify the chain guard .

52 will not work without mod.

Are you thinking of the lower chain guide?  What I'm wondering about is the chainguard that is above the chain.  A 48 seems to be fine but I'm wondering how much bigger I can go...

No, you have to drop the chain guide even with a 44.  

I run a 46t and change to 15,14,13, or 12 on front with custom case guard.  Don't run a 12 very far.  It's an emergency sprocket.

OK BR, spill the beans about this "custom case guard". 

How cool would THAT be?

It's 3/4" wide x .090"

Oh man, that is exceptional!   How big of a "bribe" would it take...???

...but that makes me even MORE curious about how big I can go in the back without raising the upper chainguard. 

I never had the chainguard on my L.  Do you need it in soggy conditions?  If so,  maybe it could be made from aluminum sheet.  Dirtbikes don't normally have them.  

The case saver takes too much time, for me, to make commercially.  Sorry. 

I hear the chainguard mostly keeps the passenger from getting tangled in the chain so, in my case, it should probably stay on there. 

The case saver would be cool but probably not absolutely necessary (and I certainly understand the time/commercially viable component).  

Mostly I'm trying to figure out just how low I can go in the gearing department.  I have 12/48 (for those rare occasions) and 13/48 and I'm wondering if I can go lower yet and still be "passenger friendly"... 

Most of the time I'll probably run 13/45.

The upper chain guard could easily be moved. If it was my bike I would just take it off.

If you had/have dimensions for the counter shaft guard, I could see what it would cost to make it on a waterjet. It probably would be commercially viable at that point.

On a mill, I agree... Not cost effective.

Duh!  It never dawned on me to look for a sprocket diameter calculator.  It seems a 51t would fit with about 1/8" to spare and 52T will rub the upper guard a little in the back.  I went with the 52 and I'll just raise the guard.

Thanks for chiming in guys!

I do believe the case saver chain stopper is way more important then a passenger chain guard. I run a 14 counter shaft  sprocket and a 51 tooth rear on my XR350 and only had to open the lower chain GUIDE to accommodate the larger diameter sprocket. You then have to add length to the chain. My 350 will lug a cliff at an idle!

XR350's are awful.  No self respecting person should be made to live with such a beast.  I think you should drop that bike off here so you no longer have to suffer the shame and suffering that goes along with ownership of an old cantankerous beast such as that.  :devil:

I want some of that cliff-climbing ability too!  I figure if I gear low enough I should be able to come close...

:ride: