Gearing up for rides.. What do you wear?

Here's the dillema.

When I hop on my dual sport it can be a half day thing meaning I hit a trail or two, cruise around the city a bit, and stop at the grocery store on the way home. Mixing my Street rides with dirt days happen almost every ride.

I have MX boots but don't wear them often and ride in hiking boots. Terrible I know but ever walk through a grocery store in SG10's? I have a mesh body armor but find myself riding in a mesh joe rocket street jacket most of the time.

If I'm going to go to the woods and stay there its an easy choice but the bike only has so much space to carry gear(XT225 so hardly any).

How do you guys mitigate this?

They have lower cut motorcycle boots but those probably won't do the job for the dirt. My recommendation would be to carry a pair of sneakers in your backpack and change into those if need be then I guess u can carry your Moto boots in the grocery carriage.

Seems like you just have to make some kind of trade off

• Like 1

They have lower cut motorcycle boots but those probably won't do the job for the dirt. My recommendation would be to carry a pair of sneakers in your backpack and change into those if need be then I guess u can carry your Moto boots in the grocery carriage.

Seems like you just have to make some kind of trade off

I've done that but the MX boots are insanely big(SZ12) and barely fit in my netting on the back.

What do you do or do you just ride dirt or street and not mix em up?

Gaerne G adventures. They don't quite offer the protection of a full on MX boot, but they are certainly better than a low cut boot or a hiker. I can walk in these boots all day, they are very comfortable and completely water tight. 

As far as other gear. I wear a Tourmaster Transition jacket. It flows air fairly well for when it's hot. Zip the liner in and close the vents and I ride in temps as low as the 20's. I also wear Tourmaster Venture air pants. They are mesh but come with two liners. One liner is for water and one is for warmth. Again, only pants I need. I ride with this gear in temps as low as 20 degrees, with no heated gear and rode the TAT through the south and the desert last summer wearing these everyday. Best bang for the buck in my experience.

I'd give advice on gloves but find that these are very subjective. I have a warm weather pair and a cold weather pair.

Here's the dillema.

When I hop on my dual sport it can be a half day thing meaning I hit a trail or two, cruise around the city a bit, and stop at the grocery store on the way home. Mixing my Street rides with dirt days happen almost every ride.

I have MX boots but don't wear them often and ride in hiking boots. Terrible I know but ever walk through a grocery store in SG10's? I have a mesh body armor but find myself riding in a mesh joe rocket street jacket most of the time.

If I'm going to go to the woods and stay there its an easy choice but the bike only has so much space to carry gear(XT225 so hardly any).

I have never tried them but these might be a cheap option ..  http://www.motomonster.com/shopping/item/745680?gclid=Cj0KEQiAjpGyBRDgrtLqzbHayb8BEiQANZauh3zeh63bkBTZrSlt0JOZem-2LoTwTa08EgblYaJDIJQaApHQ8P8HAQ

• 2 weeks later...

Your first trip to the hospital will be such a huge eye opener, you won't ever have to ask this noob question again. Be a poser or be a rider. Your choice.

Poser? I get what you're saying but am I pretending to ride a bike?

I put in about 200 miles a week offroad which is more than most people can say. Doesn't hurt that i'm semi-retired and young.

Hope it doesn't come to the hospital trip and point taken.

Save the grocery shopping for the car, wear your boots everytime you ride

So what do you wear around town on your bike? 

I like to ride and should be able to separate my off road rides from my road rides but can't eliminate the road days.

Edited by CheapoWes

Here's a great compromise.  These are what I ride in, and they are not bad to walk in at all.  Break in quickly.  Yeah, they're not available with this sole in the US, but I ordered them from Motostorm last year....zero issues, and way cheaper than the same boot here (with the different sole, but the price is the same either way).  GREAT option, I think.

http://www.motostorm.it/en/clothing/boots/gaerne-gx-1-enduro-black.html

Warner

I put in about 200 miles a week offroad which is more than most people can say. Doesn't hurt that i'm semi-retired and young.

I like to ride and should be able to separate my off road rides from my road rides but can't eliminate the road days.

I guess I go off-roading every time I ride. I got hit by a car years ago, and I don't like to "ride around town" anymore, the route I take to power lines is a rural one, hardly any cars. Hey, I used to live in Orlando, and would ride at Croom often, do you ride there? 

No, your not pretending, your just not prepared. (Your posing like you got it all figured out.) Honestly I meant no disrespect. Riding a motorcycle without being protected is a fools game. Eventually your going to regret it. My protective gear and clothing was expensive but worth it. Because of my gear, I have avoided the emergency room on 2 occasions. It's not the wreck that is so bad, it is the months and sometimes years of recovery involved. The gear can't guarantee you will not get injured but it will cut the potential for serious injury down immensely. I wish you well but I urge you to gear up and be a professional.. Chance favors the armor plated skin. Peace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Here's the dillema.

I'm not sure i understand. Is it that you feel self-conscious of what you are wearing in a grocery store or is it just too uncomfortable to walk around in the gear? My gear is very comfortable and i don't mind at all to stop in a store and pick something up.

After many years of stopping at store, has stations and restaurant's I have no problem wearing all the gear all the time.

We have a great mostly single track ride that has a has stop in a little town with a great place to eat. The Porsche,BMW, Cadillac wine tasting crowd gives us a bit of a look as we pick an outdoor table and sit down in full off road moto gear.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm wearing the gear, not packing it on the bike.

If I need to shed a layer, then usually it's just pulling the sleeves off my jacket and stuffing them in my back pack.

I almost always wear top body armour with Fox MX boots and enduro gloves (unless going a very short distance).

I'm located in Bangkok so it's a solid 1 hour ride at least in heavy traffic so it's not wise to go without the protection.

The boots aren't actually worn just for protection. They give far greater levels of grip low down on the bike and hug the sides of the frame which is a massive factor in controlling the bike off road.

Edited by CRFThai