Sign in to follow this  

2012 RM-Z 450 Deceleration Popping

I bought my bike used (I would estimate the previous owner had less than 40 hours of ride time - he was a very slow, inexperienced track rider). I have put 130 hours of traiI riding on it. My bike likes to pop on deceleration (it has for as long as I can remember). It doesn't do it when you're shifting (under heavy load) or anything like that, it only pops on a longer deceleration. I have tried running the stock, rich, and lean plugs, but it still pops with all of them. The only engine-type modification I have done is change the exhaust to a Yoshimura RS-4 with a brand new exhaust gasket to elimate any leaks (it still popped with the stock exhaust ).When I changed the exhaust and looked into the exhaust port, I did notice that the exhaust valves looked like they were white/chalky colored (lean?). I am now running the rich plug with the new exhaust and it still pops. Out of curiosity, I pulled the spark plug and it was also white/chalky colored. I checked the valves and they were within spec, but I believe the exhaust valves were on the tighter side of adjustment (but they were within spec). Any ideas as to what may be causing this? I am contemplating on just sending the head off to Fast Heads for a Copper Beryllium Valve Seat/Titanium Del-West Valve upgrade and ordering a Tokyo Mods Vortex x10 ECU. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by FL_Sharpshooter

Sounds like a lean condition. Air leak or tight valves could be the issue.  Carb'd? Check vacuum lines. EFI? EFI diagnostic.

Also could be a leak in the exhaust system.

Normally popping on deceleration can only happen in the exhaust, this sounds like an exhaust leak, I would check the header pipe, mid pipe end cap and packing again

• Like 1

Normally popping on deceleration can only happen in the exhaust, this sounds like an exhaust leak, I would check the header pipe, mid pipe end cap and packing again

The exhaust pipe was installed brand new less than 15-20 hours ago I replaced it with a brand OEM exhaust gasket as well. All of the exhaust 3 pieces (silencer, head pipe, mid pipe) were anti-seized together, so I know it's not an exhaust leak. It is EFI, unfortunately I don't have the suzuki EFI indictator light tester...

Edited by FL_Sharpshooter

I made my efi tester, took 5 mins and works perfect. Great tool to have in the tool box

I'm having the same issue with my 12.  I just installed a brand new engine and it is popping on deceleration.  The old motor never did any popping

Sorry guys, just come in from the shed after doing a fork service and shock spring change and am buggered. I will make a full tutorial with pics over the weekend because I think it might benefit a few people on here

• Like 1

My 12 popped on decel and cut out on extreme acceleration until I had it remapped. It cut out from the day I rolled it off the showroom floor but the popping on decel didn't start until I installed the Yosh system. Race fuel helped slightly but since I had it remapped I have not had a single issue with it. No more popping or cutting out. Something to think about. 

Edited by BDubb106

My 12 popped on decel and cut out on extreme acceleration until I had it remapped. It cut out from the day I rolled it off the showroom floor but the popping on decel didn't start until I installed the Yosh system. Race fuel helped slightly but since I had it remapped I have not had a single issue with it. No more popping or cutting out. Something to think about. 

That's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. I don't think I've experienced any cut out on acceleration. Biggest problem with all of these bikes is the emissions force these new bikes to be so damn lean. I'm sure the situation of having 88+ degree weather  consistantly doesn't help much either. I do plan on buying the Vortex x10 ECU though, just because of the tuneability (+-2.5% fuel adjustments).

That's pretty interesting, thanks for sharing. I don't think I've experienced any cut out on acceleration. Biggest problem with all of these bikes is the emissions force these new bikes to be so damn lean. I'm sure the situation of having 88+ degree weather  consistantly doesn't help much either. I do plan on buying the Vortex x10 ECU though, just because of the tuneability (+-2.5% fuel adjustments).

The RMZ is known for cutting out up top... but the weird thing is that I was no where close to full throttle. It was just beyond the mid range that it would sputter. As soon as I got through that area of the RPM range it would pull strong until it finally signed off up top. I attribute part of that to the crap pump fuel we have avail. but all my race gas had premix in it already. Once I got some that really cleaned things up but I still didn't have a smooth transition from the mid range to up top.  

The Vortex is a very nice unit. I wish I could afford one. I tried the PIM2 when I first got the bike but I was not impressed so I sent the stock ECU out for a remap and dumped the PIM. Saved me a ton of money and the results were night and day. 

Hope you experience similar results! It is a really fun/ good motor once it is cleaned up. 

The RMZ is known for cutting out up top... but the weird thing is that I was no where close to full throttle. It was just beyond the mid range that it would sputter. As soon as I got through that area of the RPM range it would pull strong until it finally signed off up top. I attribute part of that to the crap pump fuel we have avail. but all my race gas had premix in it already. Once I got some that really cleaned things up but I still didn't have a smooth transition from the mid range to up top.  

The Vortex is a very nice unit. I wish I could afford one. I tried the PIM2 when I first got the bike but I was not impressed so I sent the stock ECU out for a remap and dumped the PIM. Saved me a ton of money and the results were night and day. 

Hope you experience similar results! It is a really fun/ good motor once it is cleaned up. 

Thanks for the tip, I was originally looking into getting the ECU remapped by Tokyo Mods, but unfortunately, they don't offer it for Suzuki. I'm not sure who to trust with something like that. It looks like the PIM2 got discontinued (it's really made by Bazzaz for Yoshimura anyways), but I've read/seen similiar poor results like yours from other users as well. I doubt I'll be doing any serious engine mods in the future, but I always have the option of buying the Vortex x10 to match.

Sharpshooter,

Look up Tom (he posts here some). His company is "the moto lab". He has remaped several of the board members zooks with great results ( mine included).

Edited by bluethunder77
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tip, I was originally looking into getting the ECU remapped by Tokyo Mods, but unfortunately, they don't offer it for Suzuki. I'm not sure who to trust with something like that. It looks like the PIM2 got discontinued (it's really made by Bazzaz for Yoshimura anyways), but I've read/seen similiar poor results like yours from other users as well. I doubt I'll be doing any serious engine mods in the future, but I always have the option of buying the Vortex x10 to match.

I have a PIM2 and Data Box... The data box never been used and PIM2 as used for less than 10 hrs I would part with

Sharpshooter,

Look up Tom (he posts here some). His company is "the moto lab". He has remaped several of the board members zooks with great results ( mine included).

He did mine as well... I have sent countless members from this site to him and have not had a bad review to date. Tom is a magician when it comes to tuning the RMZ. 

Sharpshooter, if you can afford a Vortex I would 100% go that route, as it gives you many more options. I plan on picking one up whenever I can fit it in the budget. Probably wait until I get a new bike at this point. 

I have a PIM2 and Data Box... The data box never been used and PIM2 as used for less than 10 hrs I would part with

I really appreciate the offer, but I'm really not interested in the yoshimura tuners, thanks though!

He did mine as well... I have sent countless members from this site to him and have not had a bad review to date. Tom is a magician when it comes to tuning the RMZ. 

Sharpshooter, if you can afford a Vortex I would 100% go that route, as it gives you many more options. I plan on picking one up whenever I can fit it in the budget. Probably wait until I get a new bike at this point. 

Sounds like I may just give him a call and see what he thinks, thanks for the advice. From reading many other posts on here, it sounds like he's the one to go to. If it fixes the popping I don't mind just going that route and dismissing the vortex ecu, because I don't see myself doing any serious modifications anyways, so there would be no need for constant tinkering. Besides, if I was to ever do any mods I could also just purchase the Vortex at that time . At this point, $50 seems like a drop in the hat, if it works, great, if not, it was worth a try.

I really appreciate the offer, but I'm really not interested in the yoshimura tuners, thanks though!

Sounds like I may just give him a call and see what he thinks, thanks for the advice. From reading many other posts on here, it sounds like he's the one to go to. If it fixes the popping I don't mind just going that route and dismissing the vortex ecu, because I don't see myself doing any serious modifications anyways, so there would be no need for constant tinkering. Besides, if I was to ever do any mods I could also just purchase the Vortex at that time . At this point, $50 seems like a drop in the hat, if it works, great, if not, it was worth a try.

It 100% works great but does not have anywhere near the versatility of the Vortex. You can tune the Vortex for your conditions, riding style, even for diff types of riding. I will recommend Tom to anyone but if the Vortex will not break the bank for you, I would recommend going that route. As I said, I am one of Tom's biggest fans and if I could afford the Vortex atm I would drop the stock ECU without another thought.